The Student Room Group

Think I'm suffering from depression

My second year law exams are coming up and I'm really scared that I won't pass, and lately I think I been suffering from depression but Im not sure, I'll be visiting my doctors in a few days to find out whats wrong with me.

but my symptoms are:

-I cant seem to sleep properly anymore since I wake up randomly at night and takes me a while to go sleep too.

- I dont feel like anything since like a month now and on most occasions I feel nauseous. But at times I psychically vomit.

- Can't concentrate in revision or enjoy playing games and TV these days because exams are always on my mind.

Is there anything my uni can do? I really dont want to resit the exams in August at all :frown: , I just want to get it out the way with and recover if I found to have depression, I rather get a bare pass.so I can go uni next year.

my symptoms began in March but gradually got worse as exam seasons coming, as a second year student, I contemplated even dropping out but I considered my future prospects and would struggle to get a decent job without a degree.

would appreciate advice.
Bet you he says stress or anxiety.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/low-mood-and-depression.aspx
He might give you some anti depressants, ther things that are good are decent healthy diet, regular sleep, relaxation and especially some exercise.
Just keep things simple and try to do your revision.

Advice
Between the choices of getting a bare pass or just leaving and coming back then I would leave because a bare pass will make your degree a bit pointless. If they offer you a deferred first sit in August take it.

Whilst i am sympathetic you do need to really fight just till the exams are over. You may get diagnosed and then you cna take that to your tutor or department and they may give you some leeway. See what your Dr says and the your department. They may be sympathetic.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Bet you he says stress or anxiety.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/low-mood-and-depression.aspx
He might give you some anti depressants, ther things that are good are decent healthy diet, regular sleep, relaxation and especially some exercise.
Just keep things simple and try to do your revision.

Advice
Between the choices of getting a bare pass or just leaving and coming back then I would leave because a bare pass will make your degree a bit pointless. If they offer you a deferred first sit in August take it.

Whilst i am sympathetic you do need to really fight just till the exams are over. You may get diagnosed and then you cna take that to your tutor or department and they may give you some leeway. See what your Dr says and the your department. They may be sympathetic.

I'll see what the doctor says..

But because of these issues I am struggling to revise at all, this year is worth 25% towards my final degree and I rather get a bare pass for the exams or could base my grades based off my previous coursework assessements.
Original post by Anonymous
I'll see what the doctor says..

But because of these issues I am struggling to revise at all, this year is worth 25% towards my final degree and I rather get a bare pass for the exams or could base my grades based off my previous coursework assessements.

I have no idea about your degree. Try and talk it over with maybe someone independent from the SU who can help and support you reach a decision.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
I have no idea about your degree. Try and talk it over with maybe someone independent from the SU who can help and support you reach a decision.

Good luck.

yeah I guess, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
yeah I guess, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Hi OP,

You posted this thread in our Advice on Everyday Issues forum, I don't know if you were aware, but we have a Mental Health forum. I've moved your thread there already as you're more likely to get some constructive replies there than in the AoEI forum.

You've had a couple of helpful replies already I see, have you approached your university for support? They will provide some sort of counselling service for problems like depression, you should be able to access them through your student services or students union.
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
Hi OP,

You posted this thread in our Advice on Everyday Issues forum, I don't know if you were aware, but we have a Mental Health forum. I've moved your thread there already as you're more likely to get some constructive replies there than in the AoEI forum.

You've had a couple of helpful replies already I see, have you approached your university for support? They will provide some sort of counselling service for problems like depression, you should be able to access them through your student services or students union.

thanks, I will be speaking to my module leaders at uni for advicon Friday, since the law programme tutor is on annual leave.

I just cant handle the situation anymore. The doctor just said I have bad stress. But for me it goes beyond that.

Since I commute to uni, I dont neccessarily use services like SU

Last year I got a 2:1 and now this year I just feel like Im failing academically, revision is going terribly since I cant remember anything, my notes on my laptop disappeared and only left with couple of notes for my modules. I was confident up till March when I started to go downhill, I wanted to drop out of uni because its not working out for me :frown:
RULE NUMBER 1: Dont take antidepressants unless if you really truly are depressed. Just think back whether you are stressed, or have anxiety. If you have too much anxiety, you're depressed.

Im saying this because antidepressents on normal people can actually lead people to insanity. There was a neighbour girl in mine who was diagnosed with antidepressants without psychotherapy, she didnt have depression. But months later, she got addicted to it, then she started to fight with her little sisters. When her mother found out she hid the medicine. Then the girl felt so crazy that she had 12 pills in one go, just because she didnt have it for 2 days. Luckily she survived this, but even now, that insanity remains because she does fight with her mother and sister over petty little things.

However if you truly are depressed to the point you are suicidal, antidepressants will add colour to your life. You'll be happy again. But if not, you are leading yourself to insanity.
Reply 8
RULE NUMBER 1: Dont take antidepressants unless if you really truly are depressed. Just think back whether you are stressed, or have anxiety. If you have too much anxiety, you're depressed.

Im saying this because antidepressents on normal people can actually lead people to insanity. There was a neighbour girl in mine who was diagnosed with antidepressants without psychotherapy, she didnt have depression. But months later, she got addicted to it, then she started to fight with her little sisters. When her mother found out she hid the medicine. Then the girl felt so crazy that she had 12 pills in one go, just because she didnt have it for 2 days. Luckily she survived this, but even now, that insanity remains because she does fight with her mother and sister over petty little things.

However if you truly are depressed to the point you are suicidal, antidepressants will add colour to your life. You'll be happy again. But if not, you are leading yourself to insanity.

The doctor said I'm showing signs of mixture of anxiety & depression. But its mostly stress and anxiety.

I'm going to visit my doctors again soon to find out the actual problem if it aint depression, because my symptoms isnt going away, if anything getting worse. I notified my uni and awaiting their response.

Quick Reply

Latest