The Student Room Group

OCR C3 (not MEI) Official Thread - Tuesday 21st June 2016

Hi!
This is for discussion pre and post the up coming C3 exam :smile:

Lets start the discussion!

For past papers and mark schemes:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-mathematics-3890-3892-7890-7892/

For some older past papers:
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c3-ocr/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheNicholas
Hi!
This is for discussion pre and post the up coming C3 exam :smile:

Lets start the discussion!

For past papers and mark schemes:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-mathematics-3890-3892-7890-7892/

For some older past papers:
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c3-ocr/

I was waiting for this. How is revision going?
I'm doing this in Year 12
Reply 2
Pretty well, find silly mistakes trip me up though, how about you? Are you doing maths this year and fm next year?
Reply 3
Original post by TheNicholas
Pretty well, find silly mistakes trip me up though, how about you? Are you doing maths this year and fm next year?

Doing C1-C3, M1, S1, D1, FP1 this year. I quite like pure maths. Better than applied. In C3 I barely have enough time to check in timed conditions. Along with FP1 and D1 it is probably going to take the most time to do. When you do C1 you finish in like 30 minutes.

Going to do C4, FP2 and FP3 next year with some applied (don't know which but M2 definitely)

You in Year 13?
Reply 4
Yeah doing C3 C4 FP2 FP3 S2 and D1 this year
This exam is maybe the scariest I'll have to do this year. Haha. :smile:

I'm doing C1-C4 and M1 and S1 this year. Anybody have any tips for general revision and preparation? I aim to get through all the past papers as well as few additional ones before the exam.
Hey, does anyone know if the C1 exam this year will just be sat by year 13's doing retakes or year 12's aswell? I know that in chem the spec is changing so year 12's are doing a different AS so the AS this yesr will only be sat by year 13's doing retakes so the grade boundaries are likely to go up and I'm worried that the same is happening in maths and my teachers just haven't told me about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by LThomas694
Hey, does anyone know if the C1 exam this year will just be sat by year 13's doing retakes or year 12's aswell? I know that in chem the spec is changing so year 12's are doing a different AS so the AS this yesr will only be sat by year 13's doing retakes so the grade boundaries are likely to go up and I'm worried that the same is happening in maths and my teachers just haven't told me about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nopes. Maths stays the same till 2017 or so.
Original post by Zacken
Nopes. Maths stays the same till 2017 or so.

Ooh okay that's great, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Ooh okay that's great, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries.
Reply 10
Does anyone have any predictions of what type of question might come up? Anything that differs massively from standard?
Original post by hallo.C
Does anyone have any predictions of what type of question might come up? Anything that differs massively from standard?

I'm kinda worried there's gonna be a question on proof because it's on the spec but it's never actually come up before? There aren't really any past paper questions on it either so its hard to practice.
Reply 12
I'm kinda worried there's gonna be a question on proof because it's on the spec but it's never actually come up before? There aren't really any past paper questions on it either so its hard to practice.

What kind of proof do you mean?
Original post by hallo.C
What kind of proof do you mean?

It's chapter 7 in the textbook so proof by deduction, disproof by counter example and proof by contradiction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone mind explaining how you work out how many raw marks are required to got 100 UMS? I'm trying to get 100 UMS in stats to give me the best chance of getting an A and I was trying to work out how many marks I can drop to get 100 UMS but I can only see the boundaries for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Would anyone mind explaining how you work out how many raw marks are required to got 100 UMS? I'm trying to get 100 UMS in stats to give me the best chance of getting an A and I was trying to work out how many marks I can drop to get 100 UMS but I can only see the boundaries for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look up the OCR UMS converter.
Reply 16
It's chapter 7 in the textbook so proof by deduction, disproof by counter example and proof by contradiction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you definitely on the right thread here? I have never seen anything about proof before FP1 in any of my OCR text books.
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

100 UMS = 2(difference between a grade and b grade boundaries)
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure you are doing OCR. You could be OCR MEI
Original post by SGHD26716
100 UMS = 2(difference between a grade and b grade boundaries)

Original post by Zacken
Look up the OCR UMS converter.

Alright thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending