The Student Room Group

David Cameron's father 'ran offshore fund that paid zero UK tax for 30 years'

Scroll to see replies

So a few months ago, Cameron came out with his famous saying of "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear". Yet when asked if he still has family money in the offshore tax haven his response was "it's a private matter".

Well David, if you have nothing to hide.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
So nobody in Labour engages in this tax avoidance, doesn't mean there is no tax avoidance, I recall two Mr Milibands, they've largely slipped out of the public eye, both were Labour MPs and one still is and was in fact leader of the opposition and engaged in tax avoidance. Why did people vote for those morons, eh?

Deary me. You have a basic lack of understanding. The Miliband's used an ISA.ISA's are expressly allowed and enacted by Parliament for the purpose of allowing people to save. There is nothing dodgy or underhand. It's using a system intended and set up by Parliament to help people save. That's what Ralph Milliband did.

By contrast, tax avoidance of this kind is going against the spirit and intention of the law, searching for and exploiting a legal loophole unintended by Parliament. It's going against the intention and spirit of the law.

Not hard to understand but I have no doubt you'll manage to find difficulty.
Original post by Bornblue
Deary me. You have a basic lack of understanding. The Miliband's used an ISA.ISA's are expressly allowed and enacted by Parliament for the purpose of allowing people to save. There is nothing dodgy or underhand. It's using a system intended and set up by Parliament to help people save. That's what Ralph Milliband did.

By contrast, tax avoidance of this kind is going against the spirit and intention of the law, searching for and exploiting a legal loophole unintended by Parliament. It's going against the intention and spirit of the law.

He used an ISA?? The degenerate unpatriotic swine! Call Lords Rothermere and Dacre at the Mail and have them invoke Full Character Assassination with Extra Toppings of Misery.

Oh and get them to dial in some anti-semitism whilst they're at it, they've had experience with that over at the Fail.
Oh and whilst the Mail is busy defending Cammie's Daddy having slagged off Ed's Daddy, I thought it would be nice to see a picture of the current owner's Grandaddy with a much-esteemed European leader with whom he lunched. Seems only fair.

Ferne House near Shaftesbury, permanent residence of Lord Dacre, editor of the Mail and a supposed non-dom for tax purposes.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Oh and whilst the Mail is busy defending Cammie's Daddy having slagged off Ed's Daddy, I thought it would be nice to see a picture of the current owner's Grandaddy with a much-esteemed European leader with whom he lunched. Seems only fair.

Nothing says 'loving Britain' more than posing for a photo with a man who mercilessly bombed it.
Nothing says 'loving Britain' more than posing for a photo with a man who mercilessly bombed it.

When the rest of the country were getting behind Churchill to face fighting on their own with the sort of insanely gritty resolve that the British are capable of when their backs are against the wall, Rothermere was scheming with Halifax to try to put Edward back on the throne, hence that dodgy landing from Hess later on and the secret overtures for peace made by the Duke of Gloucester. If it had all come to pass, no doubt the Mail would have been festooned with Swastikas on Brit-Anschluss day.
From the Telegraph just now.

"
Mr Cameron was asked if he or his family have gained financially or will benefit in the future from the fund linked to his father, who died in 2010.The Prime Minister responded: "I have no shares, no off shore trusts, no off shore funds."
"
So not a "No" then.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/05/panama-papers-tax-haven-david-cameron-silent-on-familys-tax-affa/
oh dear FoS has gone full Skinner :giggle:
Original post by the bear
oh dear FoS has gone full Skinner :giggle:

It's more like the whole country is. :excited:
It's more like the whole country is. :excited:

:colonhash:
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
How does this disgusting comment have 4 reps?

because people agree with it ?

:holmes:
From the Telegraph just now.

"
Mr Cameron was asked if he or his family have gained financially or will benefit in the future from the fund linked to his father, who died in 2010.The Prime Minister responded: "I have no shares, no off shore trusts, no off shore funds."
"
So not a "No" then.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/05/panama-papers-tax-haven-david-cameron-silent-on-familys-tax-affa/

Sold to Sam Cam for $1?

Ummm, I think you will find that deeds of variation are not ISAs, and since when was Ralph Miliband a Leader of the opposition, or even a Labour MP for that matter?
Iceland's PM has gone over Panama.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35966412

Now then David, what's your excuse for clinging to office?
Original post by Jammy Duel
Ummm, I think you will find that deeds of variation are not ISAs, and since when was Ralph Miliband a Leader of the opposition, or even a Labour MP for that matter?

Ed Miliband paid 40% capital gains tax when his house was sold in 2004. No tax was actually avoided.
Iceland's PM has gone over Panama.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35966412

Now then David, what's your excuse for clinging to office?

Mr Cameron has just explained that he has done nothing wrong. Only a complete moron would try pull a banana republic stunt while Prime Minister of the most heavily scrutinised government in the world.
Original post by the bear
Mr Cameron has just explained that he has done nothing wrong. Only a complete moron would try pull a banana republic stunt while Prime Minister of the most heavily scrutinised government in the world.

Not sure the people of Iceland would appreciate your designation of them as a 'banana republic'. A cod republic, maybe.

I was of course speaking rhetorically, but there does need to be a thorough and independent investigation, it's difficult to accept Cameron's assurances given his reluctance to be clear and I don't think it's acceptable to have a Prime Minister of, as you say, a highly scrutinised and normalised country like the UK, involved in being a beneficiary of major tax evasion.

If we were talking about Putin or somewhere like an African dictatorship, we would say "much as we expected". Why then the desperation to let Cameron off the hook when it's clear that something murky has gone on?
Not sure the people of Iceland would appreciate your designation of them as a 'banana republic'. A cod republic, maybe.

I was of course speaking rhetorically, but there does need to be a thorough and independent investigation, it's difficult to accept Cameron's assurances given his reluctance to be clear and I don't think it's acceptable to have a Prime Minister of, as you say, a highly scrutinised and normalised country like the UK, involved in being a beneficiary of major tax evasion.

If we were talking about Putin or somewhere like an African dictatorship, we would say "much as we expected". Why then the desperation to let Cameron off the hook when it's clear that something murky has gone on?

is that libel or slander... i always get them mixed up ? :hmmmm2:
Ed Miliband paid 40% capital gains tax when his house was sold in 2004. No tax was actually avoided.

Except the IHT, which is separate to CGT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending