The Student Room Group

Can I do a masters in physics with a degree in geophysics?

Hi, I just received an unconditional offer for physics from QMUL and a conditional offer for geophysics from UCL. The reason why both my courses are different is because UCL unfortunately could not give me a place in their physics department. Now I'm facing quite a quandary, I know that by doing a degree in physics I can decide to do a masters in geophysics later in the future. But what if I opt for a degree in geophysics? Am I eligible to apply for a masters in physics later in the future?? Please help!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by applicant3345
You'd have to e-mail universities that offer an Msc in Physics, however, it should be possible (UCL's MSc Physics programme accept degrees in Electrical Engineering)

The website says that
"A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in physics or electrical engineering from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard." So I'm just afraid that they might not accept me later in the future if I decide to take up geophysics. But if you recommend emailing them, then I'll do that and see what the university says. Thanks you!
Original post by Frasaur
Hi, I just received an unconditional offer for physics from QMUL and a conditional offer for geophysics from UCL. The reason why both my courses are different is because UCL unfortunately could not give me a place in their physics department. Now I'm facing quite a quandary, I know that by doing a degree in physics I can decide to do a masters in geophysics later in the future. But what if I opt for a degree in geophysics? Am I eligible to apply for a masters in physics later in the future?? Please help!!

I guess it depends on what areas of physics you'd want to focus on for your masters - geophysics degrees won't go into as much of the quantum stuff for example, and you'd probably be behind on maths skills!

Having said that, your best option is really to ask the university now if they'd consider accepting you. For now, think about what drives you/interests you towards physics/geophysics to help you choose? I know you don't want to limit yourself but your opinion on what you want to do after a BSc will probably change massively when you get further through the course :smile:
Reply 3
I have doneM SC physics recently then now we can apply for MS geophysics or not?
Reply 4
Original post by Frasaur

Look at the uni's website for postgraduate courses, then choose a Masters in physics and they should have requirements. Also in my first 2 years of Uni, they only made geophysics answer the basic physics questions, so going into a Masters would probably be difficult without the extra study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending