The Student Room Group

Should I wait three years?

Hello again, guys haha
I'll try to keep it short:
I was in my first year at Uni in Brazil studying Engineering and then moved to London because my mother lives here and wanted to study in the UK.
Since my mom is European and I have an european passport as well, I thought I could simply move to London, start my course(I got an offer to do a foundation year at Uni of Liverpool) and then apply for loans and everything would be solved.
WRONG!
I didn't know that I had to be living here or in the EU area for three years in order to be classified as an EU/Home student and thus having access to loans and EU/ome fees.
Now I don't know what to do. I knew that I would pay the Overseas fees, but I thought I could get the student loan, which I can't and don't have money to pay around 18k per year.
I even thought about doing A-levels while I wait for these 3 years to pass(to become an Eu/Home student) so I could apply to better universities(like Imperial, Cambridge and Bath),but I am afraid I would be too old to start Uni :/
I'm already 20 years, if I wait those 3 years, I'll be 23!! :'(
What should I do?
Please help me :frown:((((
Reply 1
I believe it's 5 years, not 3 that you have to wait now. They have just changed the rules. You won't be too old to go to uni at 25 if it's what you really want to do. I guess you will just have to work/do A-levels in the mean time if you decide to wait it out.
I would wait.
You are not that old!
Reply 3
But wait 5 years?? I would finish Uni when I'm 29, would any company want someone that old for their first job?
I'm so lost right now :frown:
Reply 4
You may change your mind in five years. I say take a gap year out and get a job for now. Get some work experience and get some perspective about the real world (not saying you do) and then reassess your options next year. I know people who have gone onto graduate schemes at 32. If you really want to do your degree I recommend doing it in Brazil, you could always do a masters here if that's possible.
Reply 5
Mind me asking, what country is your mother from in Europe? You could possibly do your degree in her original country of residence.
Reply 6
I am already working since February(arrived in London in January).
I graduated from high school when I was 16, then it took me 4 years to decide what to do and actually start studying engineering in Brazil.
I just want to start studying as soon as possible, I have already wasted so many years deciding what to do.
Going back to Brazil is not really an option for me
My mother is from Portugal.
Sorry for the answer, I am really lost right now
Consider studying in the Netherlands - it seems their fees are based on nationality not years of residency in the EU.
Reply 8
Original post by GiuDell
I am already working since February(arrived in London in January).
I graduated from high school when I was 16, then it took me 4 years to decide what to do and actually start studying engineering in Brazil.
I just want to start studying as soon as possible, I have already wasted so many years deciding what to do.
Going back to Brazil is not really an option for me
My mother is from Portugal.
Sorry for the answer, I am really lost right now

Apprenticeship with a company like Airbus? I heard Airbus offer to pay your tuition fees if you get on a program. I don't do Engineering, I do Business with Mandarin at the moment. I'm 21 and recently did a foundation year going onto my first year in September. It's not uncommon for people to go to university later in life but I can definitely understand your dilemma, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do too. I hope it works out for you
Reply 9
Original post by Motherodragons94
Consider studying in the Netherlands - it seems their fees are based on nationality not years of residency in the EU.

In addition to many programs being taught in English. Good shout
Reply 10
Original post by Motherodragons94

That actually gave a little hope since I did 1 year of high school there so I speak Dutch.
Do you know where I can find more about that?
Maybe I could do A-levels this year and then use it to apply for uni there? I wonder if they accept this kind of qualification?
Reply 11
3 years only for university fee loans, 5 years to be considered Home Student and then you're eligible for maintenance loans as well if you need them. Just checked this with them over the phone 2 weeks ago as I'm an EU student so trust me on that one :smile:
And you will not be paying the overseas tuition fee in that case as far as I'm aware.

I know what you mean, 3 years of waiting is a lot. But I'm 29, and will not start my degree until 30. So please trust me, 20 is NOT old. at all. If you want to study in Uni here and can't afford to fund it on your own (and who can blame you, its so expensive :/) then wait, and make this waiting worthwhile!

Take those three years to work and save money (as you will not be eligible for maintenance loans until 5 years in the UK as I mentioned), or to maybe take courses related to your degree - and generally work to better yourself (will your degree require any work experience for example?) so when the time comes you'll be the perfect candidate and they will not be able to turn you down.

[and on a side note, where has this world come to that 20 year old people think they're old.]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GiuDell
Hello again, guys haha
I'll try to keep it short:
I was in my first year at Uni in Brazil studying Engineering and then moved to London because my mother lives here and wanted to study in the UK.
Since my mom is European and I have an european passport as well, I thought I could simply move to London, start my course(I got an offer to do a foundation year at Uni of Liverpool) and then apply for loans and everything would be solved.
WRONG!
I didn't know that I had to be living here or in the EU area for three years in order to be classified as an EU/Home student and thus having access to loans and EU/ome fees.
Now I don't know what to do. I knew that I would pay the Overseas fees, but I thought I could get the student loan, which I can't and don't have money to pay around 18k per year.
I even thought about doing A-levels while I wait for these 3 years to pass(to become an Eu/Home student) so I could apply to better universities(like Imperial, Cambridge and Bath),but I am afraid I would be too old to start Uni :/
I'm already 20 years, if I wait those 3 years, I'll be 23!! :'(
What should I do?
Please help me :frown:((((

im doing a business management course with a 60yr old man!! 23 is NOT too old
Reply 13
Thank you all for your answers!
Since yesterday I've been looking into Dutch unis and found this on the DUO website:
"Nationality requirements
If you have the nationality of an EU/EEA-country or Switzerland, you will qualify for student finance if you have been living in the Netherlands for 5 consecutive years or more. Or if you (or your non-Dutch parent or partner) work in the Netherlands for at least 56 hours a month.
If you are not a national of an EU/EEA-country or Switzerland, you can still qualify for student finance if you have a residence permit type II, III or IV."

So all I have to do is get a part time job and then I'll have the student loan? Seems too good to be true e_e
Reply 14
It probably is.. I would recommend calling them and actually speaking to a person before packing your bags!

Original post by GiuDell
Thank you all for your answers!
Since yesterday I've been looking into Dutch unis and found this on the DUO website:
"Nationality requirements
If you have the nationality of an EU/EEA-country or Switzerland, you will qualify for student finance if you have been living in the Netherlands for 5 consecutive years or more. Or if you (or your non-Dutch parent or partner) work in the Netherlands for at least 56 hours a month.
If you are not a national of an EU/EEA-country or Switzerland, you can still qualify for student finance if you have a residence permit type II, III or IV."

So all I have to do is get a part time job and then I'll have the student loan? Seems too good to be true e_e

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending