The Student Room Group

Uni blunders that make you wanna headdesk

Just thinking about when I handed in my dissertation, I'm pretty sure I submitted a version which had [insert reference here] instead of an actual reference. :facepalm:

Or a friend who's computer crashed and lost all his work:

Me: Well it's okay, you saved it right?
Them: No I didn't save it
YOU'VE BEEN WRITING THIS FOR THE PAST THREE HOURS AND YOU DIDN'T HIT CTRL+S EVEN ONCE?!?!
:banghead:
(I dunno if you young'uns experience this anymore with all your fancy cloud computin' :shakecane:)

Anyway, vent your frustrations here.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

P.s: does anyone even say headdesk anymore?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Just thinking about when I handed in my dissertation, I'm pretty sure I submitted a version which had [insert reference here] instead of an actual reference. :facepalm:

YOU'VE BEEN WRITING THIS FOR THE PAST THREE HOURS AND YOU DIDN'T HIT CTRL+S EVEN ONCE?!?!
(I dunno if you young'uns experience this anymore with all your fancy cloud computin' :shakecane:)

One of my lecturers accidentally released by grade before it was moderated they had decided it was a fail too, this was while I was on holiday in Rome so I sent a panicked email on my phone and had to wait to find out what my actual grade was, turns out another lecturer decided they were too harsh so it passed but I never liked that lecturer after that.

If it makes you feel any better, I once consulted a PhD thesis in my university's library. Bear in mind this was the corrected, final version that had gone through the viva exam, subsequent corrections, etc.
Anyway, the person had included a map at the very front (it was the first page after the title page), and underneath had inserted this reference:
Figure 1: Map of Ireland, from Ohlmeyer (ed.), Ireland from Independence to Occupation, p. ?????????

Apparently no one had spotted the '??????' in all the various versions, and now it's there forever in the copy of record in the library...
Original post by gutenberg
If it makes you feel any better, I once consulted a PhD thesis in my university's library. Bear in mind this was the corrected, final version that had gone through the viva exam, subsequent corrections, etc.
Anyway, the person had included a map at the very front (it was the first page after the title page), and underneath had inserted this reference:
Figure 1: Map of Ireland, from Ohlmeyer (ed.), Ireland from Independence to Occupation, p. ?????????

Apparently no one had spotted the '??????' in all the various versions, and now it's there forever in the copy of record in the library...

Ahh, so much for the peer review process, eh? :moon:
Ahh, so much for the peer review process, eh? :moon:

PRSOM :laugh:
My coursemate accidentally lost all her work for an assignment + an assessment last night when trying to save it to onedrive (assessment+ assignment was due this morning).

Needless to say she was very upset. Thankfully she was given an extension, though for a different reason.

I almost exclusively use Google drive to avoid this stuff. Automatically saves every few seconds and is accessible to me wherever I go.
Original post by SophieSmall
My coursemate accidentally lost all her work for an assignment + an assessment last night when trying to save it to onedrive (assessment+ assignment was due this morning).

Needless to say she was very upset. Thankfully she was given an extension, though for a different reason.

I almost exclusively use Google drive to avoid this stuff. Automatically saves every few seconds and is accessible to me wherever I go.

Google docs is excellent. I've started using it recently, didn't realise how good it was. The tracked changes functionality on it is also amazing. Way better than Word overall imho :colondollar:
Google docs is excellent. I've started using it recently, didn't realise how good it was. The tracked changes functionality on it is also amazing. Way better than Word overall imho :colondollar:

I agree. I find word incredibly inconvenient. I only use it now to convert a Google doc into word if word is the required format for an assignment.
I had a really difficult assignment last year, I sweated blood to get it finished... I store everything in dropbox so I can move between my desktop and laptop and I decided to clear out my folder of all the documents I had related to my final assignment. I then emptied my recycling can and continued fiddling about on the internet. I went back to the folder to get the file to submit it and I had of course deleted it and emptied the trash. My head immediately started to spin and my heart was pumping so hard, I contacted my boyfriend like Omsm.... cant tpe wot do I do. And he said don't panic you can download something that'll do a file recovery and blahblah and I was desperately trying to work it out and I couldn't. I spent hours trying to get something to work and I just couldn't. He was saying it's fine, you can write it again... and I was saying YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND I CANNOT WRITE THIS AGAIN. IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE THE FIRST TIME. I then found out that dropbox business accounts were able to access files up to a month old that they'd deleted. So I thought well I'll pay for an account and get it back!!! Then discovered a way of trialling it, and was able to recover the deleted file. Man. It was honestly the best feeling. I've lost other work before but this assignment was my arch nemesis, funny thing is I did better on it than stuff I was far more sure about.
@JinxedOut

:dumbells: I'm glad you got it back!!

Reminds me of the time I accidentally deleted my entire music collection :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest