The Student Room Group

UoM or UEA?

Greetings, everyone! I will be studying Law in the UK in September and I need some serious advice - I'm torn between University of Manchester and University of East Anglia.

UoM is a respectable uni, but it's low student satisfaction is putting me off. UEA is not that respectable (I'm talking about international reputation here), but it has really high student satisfaction and I've heard that students in UEA are more satisfied with the lecturers and tutors.

Can someone please give me some advice and how do I pick between these two? It'd be better if you guys are able to explain the low student satisfaction for Manchester.

Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kayassjay
Greetings, everyone! I will be studying Law in the UK in September and I need some serious advice - I'm torn between University of Manchester and University of East Anglia.

UoM is a respectable uni, but it's low student satisfaction is putting me off. UEA is not that respectable (I'm talking about international reputation here), but it has really high student satisfaction and I've heard that students in UEA are more satisfied with the lecturers and tutors.

Can someone please give me some advice and how do I pick between these two? It'd be better if you guys are able to explain the low student satisfaction for Manchester.

Thank you in advance!
Hi!

We would dispute the idea we're not internationally reputable, we are a Top 150 university in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015-16 and we're one of the most international universities worldwide because of the diversity of our students.

Have you taken a look at Unistats for the view of students who have studied Law at these institutions? As you'll see we have nearly a clean slate of students who say they are satisfied with the quality of the course (98%) at UEA with good stats on employment, our student union, and costs for accommodation here in Norwich. As you point out we're also known for student experience with an almost unbeatable ranking in the National Student Survey!

League tables like the Guardian's rankings for Law also put us 8th in the country considerably higher than the other university you mention. We also have the beautiful Earlham Hall as the location for our seminars, so beautiful even Taylor Swift has used it as a dressing room for her gig in Norwich!

Take a look at our video about UEA Law on YouTube for further insights :smile:

[video="youtube;qy1TgVRkAK8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1TgVRkAK8[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

Thank you in advance!

I am doing Law at University of Manchester in September, and although I saw the thing about the satisfaction, once I visited it and spoke to students and staff I was very satisfied with picking it. Its in the Russell Group of universities which UEA is not and gives it a big advantage over it. As you noted, its international reputation is great, and student satisfaction is not always that reliable as it is a massive uni. Even the good universities such as LSE have low student satisfaction in some areas. The law students I spoke to at Manchester spoke very highly of the teaching and the tutors were very passionate about their fields. There have been very positive student experiences of it on TSR. Manchester is also targeted more by the big commercial firms. UEA is by no means bad, but if you want to be a big city solicitor Manchester would be the better choice of the 2. Manchester is a much busier city which would be a better student experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Getting fed up with your repetitive posts, ORW!
Original post by Rust Cohle
Getting fed up with your repetitive posts, ORW!

I stopped reading them.

But did you know he's starting law at Manchester in September?
Reply 5
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi!

We would dispute the idea we're not internationally reputable, we are a Top 150 university in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015-16 and we're one of the most international universities worldwide because of the diversity of our students.

Have you taken a look at Unistats for the view of students who have studied Law at these institutions? As you'll see we have nearly a clean slate of students who say they are satisfied with the quality of the course (98%) at UEA with good stats on employment, our student union, and costs for accommodation here in Norwich. As you point out we're also known for student experience with an almost unbeatable ranking in the National Student Survey!

League tables like the Guardian's rankings for Law also put us 8th in the country considerably higher than the other university you mention. We also have the beautiful Earlham Hall as the location for our seminars, so beautiful even Taylor Swift has used it as a dressing room for her gig in Norwich!

Take a look at our video about UEA Law on YouTube for further insights :smile:

[video="youtube;qy1TgVRkAK8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1TgVRkAK8[/video]

Hello! I would like to apologize if my post came off as offensive, but perhaps I could have phrased it in a more sophisticated manner.

Frankly speaking, I'd picked UEA over UoM because I've heard a lot of great things about the teachings and I really like the environment and atmosphere there. However, my main concern is getting a job back here in Malaysia once I graduate. My relatives who are lawyers in Malaysia asked me to pick UoM over UEA due to its recognition in Malaysia. They said that UoM will get me better job offers since it's more well-known here. This is why I am starting to have second thoughts.
Hello! I would like to apologize if my post came off as offensive, but perhaps I could have phrased it in a more sophisticated manner.

Frankly speaking, I'd picked UEA over UoM because I've heard a lot of great things about the teachings and I really like the environment and atmosphere there. However, my main concern is getting a job back here in Malaysia once I graduate. My relatives who are lawyers in Malaysia asked me to pick UoM over UEA due to its recognition in Malaysia. They said that UoM will get me better job offers since it's more well-known here. This is why I am starting to have second thoughts.
No offence taken, we jest, we're just trying to assure you not to listen to solely your relatives :smile:

I'd refer you again to the Unistats website where it actually shows our Law graduates are likely to be better paid after six months, a year, and after 40 months. Of course there's no guarantee this will apply to Malaysia, but based on those stats the odds appear to be in your favour.

I suspect like ORW your relatives are a little hung up on the whole idea of a 'Russell Group' university, when actually in the real world our experience finds this doesn't matter so much. Did you tell your relatives our Law department is in the Top 10 in the UK and ranks much higher than the alternative? They might be pleasantly surprised! :smile:
Reply 7
The Guardian tables are complete nonsense, UEA .
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

You're correct in that most other professions RG universities don't do significantly better, but for Law they do.

UEA is not even anywhere near being as good as Manchester. And everyone knows the Guardian is an awful league table source - Oxford Brookes above Bristol, Birmingham and Warwick? Lol. What a joke of a table.
Original post by PaulACP
The Guardian tables are complete nonsense, UEA .

Original post by InadequateJusticex
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

You're correct in that most other professions RG universities don't do significantly better, but for Law they do.

UEA is not even anywhere near being as good as Manchester. And everyone knows the Guardian is an awful league table source - Oxford Brookes above Bristol, Birmingham and Warwick? Lol. What a joke of a table.

Well, in which case we could go with the Complete University Guide which still ranks us higher no doubt for the various reasons explained in our video and in the text above :smile: My advice would be not to get too caught up on league tables, it's about the wider experience, and that's not the "be all and end all" just like Russell Group university status.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't just look at the league tables, because you also have to consider that you will need to live and study at this institution for the next few years.

Maybe the deciding factor, is where you could see yourself most happy for the next 3 years. Both universities are well regarded in the league tables so focus more on what city you would prefer to live in and things like the facilities and societies etc

Hope this helps !
Reply 11
Original post by evalilyXOX
Don't just look at the league tables, because you also have to consider that you will need to live and study at this institution for the next few years.

Maybe the deciding factor, is where you could see yourself most happy for the next 3 years. Both universities are well regarded in the league tables so focus more on what city you would prefer to live in and things like the facilities and societies etc

Hope this helps !

Your reply have been really helpful indeed. Thank you so much for that! I did consider what you've said and that lead me to UEA since I prefer the environment there. However, another factor that I take into account is career opportunities and since UoM has a better reputation back here in Malaysia, I was advised by many practicing lawyers to choose UoM instead and that's why I'm in this dilemma right now ._.
Manchester for sure
Reply 13
Original post by neal95
Manchester for sure

Could you kindly elaborate the reason behind your choice? I'd like to know more!
Could you kindly elaborate the reason behind your choice? I'd like to know more!

It's not selling itself on TSR. That's when you know it's half-decent.

It's a very well known university with top graduate recruiters in both the legal profession and outside of it, as that chambers student study shows. The city has a lot of stuff to do and if you want the typical student experience then Manchester will provide this as well as a rigorous well respected degree. Unfortunately the Russell group tag still carries weight with top law firms and I bet you they all target Manchester uni when doing the milk round during recruitment season and at law fairs etc. Ultimately you will be paying the same amount wherever you end up and whilst it is important to go somewhere you will enjoy, you've got to have an eye on your exit opportunities at the end of the 3 years. I am entering the final term of my first year and next year will be quite important with lots of applications and studying needing to be done, so the years do fly by as well
Original post by Nameless Ghoul

Yes, the university is so 'half-decent' that its undergraduates perform significantly better than UEA graduates...

Funny how the UEA representative chose to completely ignore this as well. Curious :wink:
Yes, the university is so 'half-decent' that its undergraduates perform significantly better than UEA graduates...

Funny how the UEA representative chose to completely ignore this as well. Curious :wink:

I think you might have misunderstood my point.
Reply 18
Original post by Nameless Ghoul

Savage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

Well, Manchester is almost double the size of UEA, and the table is not adjusted. It's a good measure but not 100% reliable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending