The Student Room Group

Horrible busy junctions when turning right?

lo,
What do you guys usually do when you approach a busy junction, wanting to turn right, and there never seems to be a good time to pull out?

Would it be completely out of order to drive out onto the first lane (traffic coming from your right) when there is a very large gap in traffic there, and wait until the other lane (traffic from your left) becomes free, or someone flashes you out (they're alot more likely to if you're sitting there)?

I've had to do that a few times when it seems completely impossible to get a time where both lanes are free at the same time. I dont just completely block the first lane, causing a massive queue, I'd only pull out when there was literally about a 15-20 second gap.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you were to pull out into the other lane, chances are you will have a car coming that way getting v.angry with you. bide your time, but sit on the clutch and be ready to jump into a gap. if a copper sees you blocking the lane, regardless of if there was anything coming, they would NOT be happy.
Reply 2
Ghost
lo,
What do you guys usually do when you approach a busy junction, wanting to turn right, and there never seems to be a good time to pull out?

Would it be completely out of order to drive out onto the first lane (traffic coming from your right) when there is a very large gap in traffic there, and wait until the other lane (traffic from your left) becomes free, or someone flashes you out (they're alot more likely to if you're sitting there)?

I've had to do that a few times when it seems completely impossible to get a time where both lanes are free at the same time. I dont just completely block the first lane, causing a massive queue, I'd only pull out when there was literally about a 15-20 second gap.

If you have to do it then do it, however Ive had quite a few people doing this to me and it drives me mad- as most of the time people in the other lane dont let them go and they end up completely blocking the road!! Obviously if youre not blocking the road then its not an issue

If I can I tend to turn left and turn around, for example theres a massively busy road by me and its near impossible to get out by turning right, but theres a roundabout literally 200 yds down the road so I tend to go left, round the roundabout and come back up

Otherwise I guess you've just got to wait for someone to flash you out!
The pricks in London do that all the time. I was going up the north circular the other day people pulling out from side roads would totally block one lane and wait for someone to let them in (this being London, they would have to wait another 10 cars for that to happen) - mind you they would be waiting forever to get in if they waited so it is fair enough I spose

In my own city drivers r a bit nicer and there is less traffic so i woudl generally wait.
Reply 4
Clubber Lang
The pricks in London do that all the time. I was going up the north circular the other day people pulling out from side roads would totally block one lane and wait for someone to let them in (this being London, they would have to wait another 10 cars for that to happen) - mind you they would be waiting forever to get in if they waited so it is fair enough I spose

In my own city drivers r a bit nicer and there is less traffic so i woudl generally wait.

I feel offended, yet I gotta agree with it :rolleyes:

LOL strange, strange feeling I tell ya :p:
Journey
I feel offended, yet I gotta agree with it :rolleyes:

LOL strange, strange feeling I tell ya :p:

Going slightly off track a bit > I dunno how people cope with driving in London on a regular basis - its bloody stressful and the traffic is awful - to go a small distance can take forever - I don't mind doing it as I only go to London maybe once every month max but doing it on a dialy basis would annoy me like mad.
Reply 6
I was stuck at a junction for ages once, probably in excess of five minutes, so my instructor told me in the end to just go across the first lane when there was a gap in that traffic, and basically block the road. That way, someone has to let you in to the lane you need to get in, because otherwise traffic comes to a standstill. Yeah, not the best thing to do but what else can you do? It's the only way you're gonna get out if it's really busy.
Reply 7
abc101
I was stuck at a junction for ages once, probably in excess of five minutes, so my instructor told me in the end to just go across the first lane when there was a gap in that traffic, and basically block the road. That way, someone has to let you in to the lane you need to get in, because otherwise traffic comes to a standstill. Yeah, not the best thing to do but what else can you do? It's the only way you're gonna get out if it's really busy.

Exactly. It's just as annoying when you're stuck behind someone who wants to turn right.
Reply 8
I do it at a juncion near me, but only because I can hide in the hatchings in the middle of the road. That way, both lanes can flow, and I get out. :biggrin:
Reply 9
abc101

I wouldn't recommend doing it on your test though, chances are you will have an examiner fail you for holding the traffic up or something.

Also, OP, I can see why you need to do it sometimes, but be careful doing it I have seen it when someone has done similar to that (it was pulling out of a driveway, then pulled out and blocked one lane and waited for someone to let them into the next lane) and someone drove straight into the side of them. Obviously, it would be the other persons fault, but you don't really want the hassle, and risk of someone going into the side of you car. Just be careful when you are doing it.
Reply 10
if it's that busy, i normally just turn left and hope i encounter an island. i hate keeping people waiting, and if you stay there too long, the people behind you start getting angry.
Reply 11
pumpkin7
if it's that busy, i normally just turn left and hope i encounter an island. i hate keeping people waiting, and if you stay there too long, the people behind you start getting angry.

Noooo, you carnt do that, thats the easy way out:p:
Reply 12
Clubber Lang
Going slightly off track a bit > I dunno how people cope with driving in London on a regular basis - its bloody stressful and the traffic is awful - to go a small distance can take forever - I don't mind doing it as I only go to London maybe once every month max but doing it on a dialy basis would annoy me like mad.

You get someone to drive for you and you can just relax in the back :biggrin:
pumpkin7

i do that sometimes if i know its gonna take forever and i knoew the well enoug hto know i can still find my way back onto that road.
Reply 14
Clubber Lang

LOL thing is, those who DO drive in london and its areas on a regular basis get used to the traffic and the chaos of the roads so its not really AS stressful as it is for someone who doesn't drive in london on a regular basis....for me, whenever i go up to the midlands for uni i find the roads SOOO CALM! lol even in places like leicester city centre or summin - ok granted leicester is the largest of cities - yet its still quite big :rolleyes:
Reply 15
I tend to wait for a gap where I can go without holding anyone up but after a while I get a bit bored and just drive out into the first lane and wait for someone in the other lane to let me go. Will be waiting there all day else.
Reply 16
pumpkin7

Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do if there'll be a roundabout or something soon. I wanted to do that once seeing as, if I turned left, 20 seconds down the round there was a roundabout I could go round but my instructor was a bit of a dizzy woman and wouldn't let me lol.
Reply 17
Journey
LOL thing is, those who DO drive in london and its areas on a regular basis get used to the traffic and the chaos of the roads so its not really AS stressful as it is for someone who doesn't drive in london on a regular basis....for me, whenever i go up to the midlands for uni i find the roads SOOO CALM! lol even in places like leicester city centre or summin - ok granted leicester is the largest of cities - yet its still quite big :rolleyes:

I find Leicester city centre quite scary *hides*

Sorry, that was off topic!
Reply 18
abc101
Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do if there'll be a roundabout or something soon. I wanted to do that once seeing as, if I turned left, 20 seconds down the round there was a roundabout I could go round but my instructor was a bit of a dizzy woman and wouldn't let me lol.

Lol, something I've just realised: I've never used a roundabout to go back the way I came. I've always gone off at a different exit! I never needed to do it in 30 driving lessons and I haven't done it in the month since passing! Madness, lol.
Junctions are da bomb when you are lost or have taken a wrong turn.

Quick Reply

Latest