Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

English and History help!

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I currently hold an offer at Goldsmiths for English and History but also hold an offer at QMUL for Comparative Lit. I want to study history at Goldsmiths and wanted to know if it would be difficult for me if I haven't done History A level.
    Because QMUL wouldn't allow me to do a joint honours with History because of this.
    Can any current student tell me how difficult it is and how the support is at goldsmiths and how lenient they are at their grade requirements

Thanks in advance

Hello! I'm currently in my final year doing English and History at Goldsmiths, and there's no reason you wouldn't be able to handle the work! They have particular courses in first year that are aimed at giving you a broad overview of Historical approaches and theories anyway, so you get taught the basics (though it helps to have an interest!). Also, loads of people choose to do humanities degrees in university without having studied those subjects for A Level - most sixth forms and schools don't offer Anthropology A levels for example. They provide you with lots of reading that will really enlighten the course for you, and if you're ever struggling there are lots of support networks for you here, from your personal tutors, to PALs (peer assisted learners), to your fellow students.

In terms of grade requirements, I know that they ask for ABB, but I've heard stories of them letting people in on BBB, though I can't say for sure whether that's the case! Either way, throw yourself into revision and coursework and aim for the ABB just to be safe.

I've really enjoyed my time here at Goldsmiths and the English and History degree is great, because you have a lot of say over what you study so the degree becomes really personal! Ignore QMUL, you could definitely do a joint honours degree without having an A Level in History, but be prepared to apply yourself
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.