The Student Room Group

Cost of living London vs Edinburgh

Hello toall,
I am EU studentand got conditional offers from UCL (London) and Edinburgh. Paying living costsis quite a challenge for my family so I am interested to get a clear comparisonof living costs for undergraduate student in London and Edinburgh before I makea firm chocie. The information I found on Uni websites are bit confusing to me.Any view onhow realistic is that I can find a student part time job (over the term) andstill be able to fulfil all my course duties?
Original post by Ana15
Hello toall,
I am EU studentand got conditional offers from UCL (London) and Edinburgh. Paying living costsis quite a challenge for my family so I am interested to get a clear comparisonof living costs for undergraduate student in London and Edinburgh before I makea firm chocie. The information I found on Uni websites are bit confusing to me.Any view onhow realistic is that I can find a student part time job (over the term) andstill be able to fulfil all my course duties?

this is for edinburgh http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/finance/cost-of-living
this is for london https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/fees-and-funding/managing-your-money/living-costs/
Realisitically edinburgh will be the cheaper option.
It's going to be more expensive in London - that's the bottom line.

It can be very difficult to get accurate figures for living costs in any given city, for several reasons, including
a) your lifestyle choices will determine your expenditure e.g. what sort of accommodation do you live in?
b) your budgeting and money saving skills will determine your expenditure e.g. do you do your food shopping at Aldi or Waitrose?
c) figures given for living costs, even by the universities, can be wrong. For instance, my university quoted the figures that the students' union claimed were the cost of living in that city. However, the SU was engaged in a campaign to increase financial support for students, and claiming that living costs were higher than they really were helped their cause. From my own experience, and that of my friends, they were estimating living costs that were about £2k higher than they really were. On the flip side, other universities may underestimate the costs of living because they don't want to put off prospective students.

It's realistic to take on a part time job and still do well academically, but be aware that
a) most universities suggest that you work no more than 16 hours a week during term time, and even this will be unrealistically high during exam periods and third year.
b) you should not expect to be paid any more than minimum wage as a student (usually £6.70ph, but this can vary by age)
c) you will not be able to earn enough to cover all of your living costs from part time / holiday work

Try and find some relatively flexible work - working for an agency (e.g. event hospitality work) and as a student ambassador are two examples of flexible work.
Reply 3
Thanks alot for the response.

My lifestyle will no doubt be a modest one. The biggest expense seems tobe living in University residence (catered), 157 gbp/week, if I could getthe cheap room.

Do youhave any idea what could be weekly, monthly or yearly cost (40 week) ofliving in London and how much cheaper could it be in Edinburgh?

Couldliving in a flat (shared) and cooking yourself be cheaper than living indormitory (if yes, how much)?

Original post by Origami Bullets
It's going to be more expensive in London - that's the bottom line.

It can be very difficult to get accurate figures for living costs in any given city, for several reasons, including
a) your lifestyle choices will determine your expenditure e.g. what sort of accommodation do you live in?
b) your budgeting and money saving skills will determine your expenditure e.g. do you do your food shopping at Aldi or Waitrose?
c) figures given for living costs, even by the universities, can be wrong. For instance, my university quoted the figures that the students' union claimed were the cost of living in that city. However, the SU was engaged in a campaign to increase financial support for students, and claiming that living costs were higher than they really were helped their cause. From my own experience, and that of my friends, they were estimating living costs that were about £2k higher than they really were. On the flip side, other universities may underestimate the costs of living because they don't want to put off prospective students.

It's realistic to take on a part time job and still do well academically, but be aware that
a) most universities suggest that you work no more than 16 hours a week during term time, and even this will be unrealistically high during exam periods and third year.
b) you should not expect to be paid any more than minimum wage as a student (usually £6.70ph, but this can vary by age)
c) you will not be able to earn enough to cover all of your living costs from part time / holiday work

Try and find some relatively flexible work - working for an agency (e.g. event hospitality work) and as a student ambassador are two examples of flexible work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending