The Student Room Group

What did you get in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

1 A*, 7 A's and 4 B's.
Original post by zahrah.16
1 A*, 7 A's and 4 B's.

Nice work, what did you get in maths?
Original post by etudixnt
I got A*s in English Lit, English Lang, Spanish, French, RE, Maths, Core Science and Further Additional Science
I got As in Geography and Additional Science (one mark off an A* :colondollar:)

Hi, do you have any tips for Eng Lit and the French & Spanish Listening and Reading exams? :smile:
You got amazing results and these 3 subjects are my weakest :redface:

How????? :0
how did you manage to get 11a*
Did you do alot of revision. or were you the type of people that go into the exam and fluked it. :smile:
Original post by surina16
Hi, do you have any tips for Eng Lit and the French & Spanish Listening and Reading exams? :smile:

I have advice for listening and reading exams in regards to your French and Spanish.
+make sure you know all of the vocab. i know that in my GCSE textbook for each unit it has all of the vocab which we will need to know :smile:
+make sure you know all of the grammar (past,present,future tense etc) - the examiners test this and it can catch people out a lot..
+do loads of practice papers - this is especially beneficial for the listening side of things, being that you can get used to the pronunciation of the vocab which you have learnt etc.

hope i helped :smile: don't stress, it's all down to practice.

i am really weak when it comes to listening, i can do reading - as that focuses on making sure you know your vocab and your tenses. for listening, i find that the people talk way to fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How should I study history?
Especially the Cold War, Germany and the British society...😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
I have advice for listening and reading exams in regards to your French and Spanish.
+make sure you know all of the vocab. i know that in my GCSE textbook for each unit it has all of the vocab which we will need to know :smile:
+make sure you know all of the grammar (past,present,future tense etc) - the examiners test this and it can catch people out a lot..
+do loads of practice papers - this is especially beneficial for the listening side of things, being that you can get used to the pronunciation of the vocab which you have learnt etc.

hope i helped :smile: don't stress, it's all down to practice.

i am really weak when it comes to listening, i can do reading - as that focuses on making sure you know your vocab and your tenses. for listening, i find that the people talk way to fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all this info :smile:
And same, I'm much better at reading than listening - they definitely speak too fast! (especially for French argh)
My spec only has 1 past paper available so I might just try some from the normal GCSE one instead :redface:
Original post by Star1015

Posted from TSR Mobile

message me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Star1015

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait... Are you doing edexcel?
Original post by surina16

English lit, Spanish and French happen to be my favourite subjects! :biggrin:

For English I highly recommend watching Mr Bruff on YouTube. He was my LIFESAVER during my GCSEs because he thoroughly analyses poetry from the AQA anthology at A* standard and it is extremely helpful! Before my poetry exam I spent hours watching his videos so I felt prepared for whatever essay I was told to write. Also I made a table of poems, comparing their similarities and differences, writing key notes on their structure, context and language techniques. This helped me condense my thoughts and remember them easily. For the texts I studied To Kill A Mockingbird and An Inspector Calls. For this I wrote every key quote and memorised them all, including analysis. I made mind maps on all the key themes in the novel/play and all the characters. I also read the novel/play at least twice so that I would know the structure inside out. Also exam practice is key! Often I struggled with time management since I always wrote too much and didn't have time left at the end for other questions. I also wrote plenty of practice essays and luckily one of them came up in the exam! I was really lucky so I got full UMS :smile:

I love languages so I didn't particularly struggle with the exams. I mostly did practice papers (particularly for listening), read over vocab... I also recommend downloading the Memrise app which has expanded my vocabulary. I have Spanish friends so I spoke with them often on Skype and I listened to a few Spanish podcasts. There are quite a few good ones on Coffee Break (I think). Usually the exam board releases a vocab booklet. I was on edexcel for both French and Spanish and this booklet proved extremely useful!

Hope I helped!! Good luck :smile:
GCSEs - 10A*:colondollar:
Edexcel Maths
AQA English Language, AQA English Literature,
AQA Core Science, AQA Additional Science, AQA Further Additional Science
Edexcel Spanish
Edexcel Religious Studies Unit 3&8
OCR Art & Design
WJEC Catering
Original post by Pentaquark
Edexcel Maths
Edexcel Spanish
OCR Art & Design
WJEC Catering

How is that even possible?? Are you a wizard ???
Original post by zXcodeXz
How is that even possible?? Are you a wizard ???

I wish. :tongue: just work hard now if you are worrying.
If I was a wizard I wouldn't be stressing out over my AS exams :redface:
I just want 4As & near full UMS in Maths is that hard to ask? :colondollar:
I wish. :tongue: just work hard now if you are worrying.
If I was a wizard I wouldn't be stressing out over my AS exams :redface:
I just want 4As & near full UMS in Maths is that hard to ask? :colondollar:

That's true you just need to work for it calm down and don't stress in my science additional mocks I stressed out so much that when I opened the paper I felt like I forgot everything the amount that I had revised was for an A* and I ended up with a B like 2marks of an A so don't stress
Original post by etudixnt
English lit, Spanish and French happen to be my favourite subjects! :biggrin:

For English I highly recommend watching Mr Bruff on YouTube. He was my LIFESAVER during my GCSEs because he thoroughly analyses poetry from the AQA anthology at A* standard and it is extremely helpful! Before my poetry exam I spent hours watching his videos so I felt prepared for whatever essay I was told to write. Also I made a table of poems, comparing their similarities and differences, writing key notes on their structure, context and language techniques. This helped me condense my thoughts and remember them easily. For the texts I studied To Kill A Mockingbird and An Inspector Calls. For this I wrote every key quote and memorised them all, including analysis. I made mind maps on all the key themes in the novel/play and all the characters. I also read the novel/play at least twice so that I would know the structure inside out. Also exam practice is key! Often I struggled with time management since I always wrote too much and didn't have time left at the end for other questions. I also wrote plenty of practice essays and luckily one of them came up in the exam! I was really lucky so I got full UMS :smile:

I love languages so I didn't particularly struggle with the exams. I mostly did practice papers (particularly for listening), read over vocab... I also recommend downloading the Memrise app which has expanded my vocabulary. I have Spanish friends so I spoke with them often on Skype and I listened to a few Spanish podcasts. There are quite a few good ones on Coffee Break (I think). Usually the exam board releases a vocab booklet. I was on edexcel for both French and Spanish and this booklet proved extremely useful!

Hope I helped!! Good luck :smile:

Wow thank you so much for all of this! :smile: Writing the practice essays is a really good idea - I'll try to do one for each main theme or something if I have time :biggrin: Full UMS is outstanding! :eek:
And thank you for the podcast idea, I'll make sure to check them out :smile:
Good luck in any exams that you have coming up!
Edexcel Maths
Edexcel Spanish
OCR Art & Design
WJEC Catering

Hey,
There did you work really hard? How much did you revise?
Very well done though :smile:
5A*'s, 3A's, 3 B's
The A*! My maths teacher was amazing.
Man GCSEs seem a long time ago now...

9A*s and 2As (curse you Eng Lang&Lit! :smile: )

A-levels are much more important, having been through the uni application process the placed I applied to and visited didn't really care about GCSEs, certainly not in comparison to AS and predicted A2.

That said these days without AS exams your GCSEs may be the only 'proof' of academic exam performance for them to go on.
Original post by zahrah.16
The A*! My maths teacher was amazing.

Woah what exam board did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest