The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Zinck
i have a funny feeling that that will come up as well - due to smoking ban. and health in general hasnt come up in ages

im thinking agriculture as well as it last came up in unit 3.

what do you lot think on the topics for unit 3? last questions?

agriculture in unit 3 :O.... never seen a question there :s-smilie:

i hope for smth easy :P... i dont know what but just want smth easy to come up , for at least the 15 mark question
Reply 41
Could anyone recommend an intensive way of revising for economics? i know most of the stuff, but due to other exams etc. havent had much time to focus on it at all. any help / suggestions / links would me much appreciated. Neel
Reply 42
Agriculture would be unit 2, over issues like the Commonagricultural policy etc.
Reply 43
liverpool
agriculture in unit 3 :O.... never seen a question there :s-smilie:

i hope for smth easy :P... i dont know what but just want smth easy to come up , for at least the 15 mark question

Sorry, I meant it last came up in 2003...

Ye Agriculture we can rely on.

What were the two topics that came up in January 07? Someone said Health Care did... what was the other one?
Reply 44
neelo_123
Could anyone recommend an intensive way of revising for economics? i know most of the stuff, but due to other exams etc. havent had much time to focus on it at all. any help / suggestions / links would me much appreciated. Neel

Unit 1 is all about definitions and stating the obvious in the multiple choice, the data response isnt much different. - so do some past papers.

Unit 2 is all about 1 topic, External Costs / Benefits, Private Costs / Benefits...

Unit 3 is all about policies, B of P, AD / AS.

Just try to cram the knowledge into your head, then you can apply it onto the exam tomorrow.
Reply 45
Zinck
Unit 1 is all about definitions and stating the obvious in the multiple choice, the data response isnt much different. - so do some past papers.

Unit 2 is all about 1 topic, External Costs / Benefits, Private Costs / Benefits...

Unit 3 is all about policies, B of P, AD / AS.

Just try to cram the knowledge into your head, then you can apply it onto the exam tomorrow.

cheers, hopefully get a good 8-10 hours of revision before the exam tomorrow. so what are peoples final predicitons for all units 2 and 3?
Reply 46
Unit 2:

Agriculture + .........?

Unit 3:

........... ? + ...........?
Reply 47
What were the two questions in January for unit 3 anyway? I mean I can remember one being something to do with inflation, but don't know what was the other one. If I know I could predict tomorrows.
Reply 48
OK MAJOR HELP NEEDED HERE!!

UNIT 3 question - 15 marker -

evaluate the use of supply side policies in sustaining high levels of output in the economy..

i made it up, but im unsure of supply side policies - i.e. long run and short run effects, so if anyone can help in the form of a modelled question i'd appreciate it :biggrin:
newlife
OK MAJOR HELP NEEDED HERE!!

UNIT 3 question - 15 marker -

evaluate the use of supply side policies in sustaining high levels of output in the economy..

i made it up, but im unsure of supply side policies - i.e. long run and short run effects, so if anyone can help in the form of a modelled question i'd appreciate it :biggrin:

anyone willing to have a pop at this?

i would kinda say 3 ss polcies. investment in human capital, privitsation and reform of benifit system.

short run it is uneffective as smth like make new school will take a long time. however in LR the LRAS should shift to the right as more productivity as so on. im kinda stuck on the rest:P... im sure someone will help :smile:
Reply 50
Come on guys / girls - discuss more! :tongue:
Reply 51
Vincente
What were the two questions in January for unit 3 anyway? I mean I can remember one being something to do with inflation, but don't know what was the other one. If I know I could predict tomorrows.

ive tried finding out what was on the paper, but cant seem to find it anywhere! :-|
Reply 52
Iv got this exam tomorrow, whats all this stuff about agriculture? We havent done anything on agriculture i dont think.

What kind of question could there be on it?

thanks
lamont100
Iv got this exam tomorrow, whats all this stuff about agriculture? We havent done anything on agriculture i dont think.

What kind of question could there be on it?

thanks

CAP, buffer stock., market and gvt failure etc

im not doin it but i think these are some of the topics on agriculture
Reply 54
with regard to SS policies - short run is increases in AD, as G rises and this is a component... so shift of AD to the right causing cost push inflation...

in the long run, due to a healthier/more productive workforce, AS shifts right... but thats A) in the long run and B) SS policies arent too great because govt. spending comes at opportunity costs, and the time lag for kicking in is just far tooo long...

thats about as much as i can do...
Reply 55
oh and with the unit 2 - my advice wudnt be to predict, Edexcel dont have a trend, they're just very random... if agriculture comes up i wont like it... the articles with farmers are just SO BORING! CC and Min Wage articles are far more interestingg.. happy revision ppl :wink:
Reply 56
ive tried finding out what was on the paper, but cant seem to find it anywhere! :-|

Do you reckon we can find it on exam report on edexcels website.
Guys, I'll offer you some of what I know here. Most of this you'll already know.

I did Unit 1 in Jan and got a good A. The key is to have a systematic way of answering the questions. First, you must DEFINE any concepts which the question raises. If it's relating to the PPF, then it will almost certainly be asking you about opportunity cost. Then you must apply the concept to support your choice of letter. You should aim to finish the multi-choice before the halfway point.
The second part of the paper focuses four areas that you all know and love: knowledge, application, analysis and evaluation.
When you say '... because...' you're likely to be analysing.
Evaluation is required on questions that say 'assess, examine, to what extent, how significant' and of course 'evaluate'. To evaluate you need to look at the issue from a different angle and say what the likely implications would be if certain assumptions are dropped or what would happen in the short/long run. Prioritising factors is also a way of evaluating.
You will find that time pressure is a key factor! There will be no time to stop and ponder on issues. Points must be recalled and written down on to the page immediately!

Unit 2 and 3 (which I'm sitting tomorrow) are less straight forward as they do not have the multi-choice :frown:

Unit 2 will definitely feature externalities relating to health, education, roads and other similar scenarios. It is also likely to include government failure, monopolies and buffer stocks.

Unit 3 will include monetary + fiscal policy in there somewhere (probably the big 15 marker).

My biggest tip would probably be to know your definitions well as you can define concepts for marks on the 15 markers. Learn about effects of everything (eg inflation) on AD and AS.

Good luck tomorrow!!!
Reply 58
nice drop of wisdom there valtastic... heres a discovery i made - measures of unemployment havent been asked since June 04 - so theres a possibility they could ask on Claimant Count and the Labour Force Survey for a small 4 marker.... it also may also suggest a 15 mark option would involve the supply side of the macro-economy :smile:
Reply 59
I am crapping myself. Also, very tired.
Not a good combination.

Ugh, have the economcis straight after physics in the morning. Good luck to everyone, and remember how close to full output the economy is, time lags and relative sizes of changes.

=D

Latest