The Student Room Group

STEP soon...

2 days to go and im only just beginning to worry... ive been quite laid back so far because i dont have an offer resting on it... (phew) but still, id need at least 1,1 to even think about reapplying to cambridge and it does mean alot to me (not putting myself through step papers for the hell of it kinda thing)...

hows everyone else feeling about them ?? (im assuming pressures double if youve got an offer thats resting on the next few days... the a levels are probably in the bag for most people with cam offers right?)

ive been practising all day and am all mathed out now... cant even bring myself to look at another paper... hope this feelings gone by wednesday.

just wondering what kinda questions everyones hoping will come up on the papers...?

some of mine: big integration ones, nice projectiles one, groups, e factorials and maclaurin links, trig manipulation, summations, matrices, sooome vectors questions but not ones that you cant draw ...

ones i hope dont come up.... anything with big numbers/decimals/lots of mental arithmetic required, anything where i dont understand the question, p4 polar coords (its been a while...), p4 |z1 - z2|=2|1-z2|^2 type questions, questions that appear simple but actually require you to add subtle details (necessary and sufficent or if and only if - gets me every time),

any last minute tips ... ?

i think if you go in with the mentality that you can tackle anything that comes... youre more likely to do so (though not guaranteed!)
Reply 1
i know how u feel mate :biggrin: luckily for me i only need to take paper 1 for my cambridge admission. I still dont think its fair me taking it since im doin engineering but cant do anything about it.

i really hope the question paper isnt too demanding... i only need 4 questions right to get a 1...hope i get lucky :cool:

48 hours to go... aargh

ps... anybody else got strange step offers if ur not studying maths?!?!?!
Reply 2
rastaman
i know how u feel mate :biggrin: luckily for me i only need to take paper 1 for my cambridge admission. I still dont think its fair me taking it since im doin engineering but cant do anything about it.

i really hope the question paper isnt too demanding... i only need 4 questions right to get a 1...hope i get lucky :cool:

48 hours to go... aargh

hehe, this is a maths forum :P
what are step offers anyway?
Reply 3
STEP is driving me insane right now
Reply 4
fishpaste
STEP is driving me insane right now

I tld you waht you should have done - You must now face the consequences of NOT cheating! :tongue:
Reply 5
Checkey
I tld you waht you should have done - You must now face the consequences of NOT cheating! :tongue:

*cries*
Reply 6
what are the step offers like for people not studying maths ? a 1 in STEP II?

i thought step 1 and II were supposed to be doable by people not taking further maths but paper 2 has loads of p4 stuff. did you learn module p4 on top of your maths a level??
Reply 7
rastaman

48 hours to go... aargh

Ouch, thats harsh...

My mate got in to do Engineering this year and he was asked for AAA no STEP.
really not looking forward to this :frown: thank goodness i 'only' need 2,2 from papers II and III..... manchester here i come!!!!! lol :biggrin:
i find it weird that we have to do paper III before II - does this happen every year?

Donna
-x-
Reply 9
DonnaB041986
really not looking forward to this :frown: thank goodness i 'only' need 2,2 from papers II and III..... manchester here i come!!!!! lol :biggrin:
i find it weird that we have to do paper III before II - does this happen every year?

Donna
-x-

Yeah it's been the same for the past two years or more, look on the bright side, it's the hardest paper out the way first :smile:
Reply 10
I don't think STEP III is that much harder than II. That's probably not a good thing though.
fishpaste
I don't think STEP III is that much harder than II. That's probably not a good thing though.

Thats weird, I usually find II a peice of cake compared to III. on III the questions are generally longer and more involved requiring more insight where as on II you sometimes only need to spot one trick and repeat it a few times to finish the question, and sometimes theres no trick at all
Reply 12
It'sPhil...
Thats weird, I usually find II a peice of cake compared to III. on III the questions are generally longer and more involved requiring more insight where as on II you sometimes only need to spot one trick and repeat it a few times to finish the question, and sometimes theres no trick at all

That is true, but there are still STEP III questions which come up where you can take a systematic, step by step approach to the question, and there's no great insight needed. Looking at 2003 paper at the moment, and I'd say that question 1, 5, and 8 just out of the pure question are easier than many STEP II questions which do need alot of insight. Looking at 2001 which I haven't had a proper go at head, but I think 4, 6, 8 probably need a better mathematician than those STEP III questions I mentioned.
fishpaste
That is true, but there are still STEP III questions which come up where you can take a systematic, step by step approach to the question, and there's no great insight needed. Looking at 2003 paper at the moment, and I'd say that question 1, 5, and 8 just out of the pure question are easier than many STEP II questions which do need alot of insight. Looking at 2001 which I haven't had a proper go at head, but I think 4, 6, 8 probably need a better mathematician than those STEP III questions I mentioned.

Thats where the 'look' of the question can deceive you! I thought 8 on STEP III would be routine differentiation implicitly but the hard bit of the question boils down to solving non linear simultaneous equations in 4 variables - which is tricky unless you spot a good method. 5 requires a lot of care with the if and only if and is pretty long, although i admit none of its particularly hard. As for the 2001 paper I would agree that the last part of 4 and 6 are hard but they are doable. 8 could be very short or impossible depending on if you spot the trick
Reply 14
It'sPhil...
Thats where the 'look' of the question can deceive you! I thought 8 on STEP III would be routine differentiation implicitly but the hard bit of the question boils down to solving non linear simultaneous equations in 4 variables - which is tricky unless you spot a good method. 5 requires a lot of care with the if and only if and is pretty long, although i admit none of its particularly hard. As for the 2001 paper I would agree that the last part of 4 and 6 are hard but they are doable. 8 could be very short or impossible depending on if you spot the trick

Hm, I'm not sure I remember that aspect of that implicit differentiation question, perhaps I didn't get it after all =o (tackled this paper first months ago).
___
You brought up something which I'd like to get absolutely solid in my mind. If and only if. I of course appreciate the basic concept. But I'm interested what's the best way to structure your answer to an if and only if question?

Do you show that a implies b, and then show that b implies a? If you just ensure that double implication signs can be used all along are you automatically showing the implication works both ways? Is this the best way to do it? Are they likely to let you trip up with that, ie. something might not be implying and implied by, so to what extent do you check that something does go both ways? If somebody could give me a brief example, and the points to look out for I'd be ever so grateful.

lex
About the if and only if, I find it varies from question to question. Sometimes in the solutions the just write if and only if and dont bother proving it both ways, whereas sometimes you have to be quite rigourous and go both ways (ie not just using double implication signs) An example is STEP II 2003 Q1 "show that the equations have a solution iff b = 11." I would show 1) if they have a solution then b = 11 (the 'only if') by solving the first two and plugging the values of y and z into the third. Then 2) showing if b = 11, then the equations have a soltion (the 'if'). This bit is trickier, but I put b = 11 and then showed that the third equation is a linear combination of the first two (in fact it is 2x(ii) - (i) ) This means that there are essentially two linearly independant equations which have a solution.

However looking at the solution to STEP III Q5 they dont bother with this and simply write things like "the equation has two distinct roots if and only if the turning point is below the axis" without justifying fully the only if
Reply 16
It'sPhil...
About the if and only if, I find it varies from question to question. Sometimes in the solutions the just write if and only if and dont bother proving it both ways, whereas sometimes you have to be quite rigourous and go both ways (ie not just using double implication signs) An example is STEP II 2003 Q1 "show that the equations have a solution iff b = 11." I would show 1) if they have a solution then b = 11 (the 'only if') by solving the first two and plugging the values of y and z into the third. Then 2) showing if b = 11, then the equations have a soltion (the 'if'). This bit is trickier, but I put b = 11 and then showed that the third equation is a linear combination of the first two (in fact it is 2x(ii) - (i) ) This means that there are essentially two linearly independant equations which have a solution.

However looking at the solution to STEP III Q5 they dont bother with this and simply write things like "the equation has two distinct roots if and only if the turning point is below the axis" without justifying fully the only if

Great. I think I'll get the right balance of rigour and structure now. Very much appreciated.
Reply 17
what about necessary and sufficient? is that like if and only if?

Latest