The Student Room Group

DoFe expedition...

My Dofe expedition is coming up soon and we have been given a list of equipment to purchase.
If I was to go about doing this(Which I am) where would be the best place to buy camping expedition kit and so on..(Preferably high quality for a good price).

Thanks in Advacnce.
Reply 1
Original post by VNN
My Dofe expedition is coming up soon and we have been given a list of equipment to purchase.
If I was to go about doing this(Which I am) where would be the best place to buy camping expedition kit and so on..(Preferably high quality for a good price).

Thanks in Advacnce.

Me too, I'm doing Bronze, what about you? I've bought some of the items and clothings on the list but I still have 3 months until the expedition. I'd recommend Sports Direct to be honest as that's where I've bought most of mine from and they always have a sale on.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/
Original post by one_man_abdullah
Me too, I'm doing Bronze, what about you? I've bought some of the items and clothings on the list but I still have 3 months until the expedition. I'd recommend Sports Direct to be honest as that's where I've bought most of mine from and they always have a sale on.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/

Yes,I'm doing bronze as well.ill try out sports direct.Are you going to do silver and so on to?
Reply 3
Original post by VNN
Yes,I'm doing bronze as well.ill try out sports direct.Are you going to do silver and so on to?

Yeah, I'm going to do Silver and NCS next year and Gold sometime in Sixth Form.
Reply 4
I'm doing bronze soon, and I found that Mountain Warehouse is pretty good for tents and backpacks, so that should probably be the first point of call, Hope it all goes well
Reply 5
Hi Guys, I've done Bronze Silver and Gold and am currently a young leader
From my experience, Go Outdoors is pretty good quality stuff and at a good price, make sure you show them your dofe card and get a membership, both will save you lots of money in the long run
I wouldn't buy a tent unless you can't avoid it, usually you can borrow it from the centre or a local dofe kit place
Decent quality waterproofs, a light fleece and good worn in walking boots are the most essential in my opinion.
Mountain Warehouse is good quality too, and Cotswold Outdoors although they might be a bit pricey their stuff will last longer, I would invest in some good equipment now if you're set on doing Silver and Gold.
Sports Direct is good for clothes but I wouldn't get any camping gear from their unless you know what you're getting as they probably won't know a load about it compared to places that are especially for camping and hiking

Hope this helps and I didn't waffle too much
Use Mountain Warehouse as you get 10% off as you are doing DofE, the also tend to have reduced stuff quite often as well. I bought some walking boots form there when I did my Bronze 3 years ago and they still haven't worn out.
Sports direct - thats where I got most of my stuff from and I didnt spend too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VNN

Thanks in Advacnce.

Your assessor should have given you a student discount card for Cotswold (amazing shop to buy equipment for the DofE expedition), sportsdirect is very good too for a budget.
Reply 9
Hey! I've just finished my Bronze up. Here's where I got my stuff:
So, firstly we were given a discount for Cotswold outdoor. I got a pair of walking boots, some clothes and a first aid pack upon other things from there, it's reasonably priced and when I was trying on walking boots the staff did give me good advice on choosing. You'll probably at least want to look there, after all, a discount never hurts, right?
I also got some other things from Decathlon, like sleeping bags and various other things. They have a lot of good things for camping there at quite a modest price, so if you're not the type to be splashing money about (my parents were more than willing to overspend but I didn't want them to) then take a look here.
I bought a pair of waterproof trousers from a superstore called the Great Outdoors, but I wouldn't recommend this, since it's mainly high end brand name products, so it's quite pricey for what you're getting, so if you're just planning to do bronze, I wouldn't recommend.
Finally, DEFINITELY see if you can borrow things. My neighbors were kind enough to let me borrow their bag and some other things, which was very kind, but also saved my family quite a bit of money.
Good luck on your expedition and if you need anymore information, you are welcome to ask :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest