Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Henry VIII's foreign policies

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi can someone please help me on what my main points would be for the following question?
    "How far was financial weakness the most important reason in bringing about failure in foreign policy in the period 1509 to 1529?"

So far all I have is that Henry lacked the financial funds to back Charles V when he finally invaded France which isolated him from claiming Pavia and the treaty between Spain and France.
    However, I have no other further points and have no clue how to counteract this view

Thank you

I did Henry VIII for AS last year so my knowledge may be a bit hazy but I'll give it a go.

One way to counter the view that financial weakness was the most important reasons is saying what caused this financial weakness. I would say that opposition within England would be responsible for this and focus on the opposition to the Amicable Grant and link that to Henry's failure with the point about Pavia that you mentioned.

Lack of men? In 1512 (or around them, I'm not sure of the exact year) when he tried to invade France he was dependent on Spain to back him up, which they failed to do so he failed to win the war.

If you know enough about it then technological weakness may be a factor you could use (although that is also linked back to financial weakness as it is lack of money which caused his technological weakness).

Also, another factor could be his lack of success itself. To have success you could argue that you need a previous success to give you the reputation to enable you to negotiate from a position of strength (e.g. Henry V's conquering of Normandy was achieved only after his success at Agincourt). Henry VII had needed to focus on establishing his rule within his own country and getting rid of pretenders to the throne as he was essentially a usurper so Henry VIII was attempting to go from England being an inward looking country to a European power and this is a difficult transformation to make in such a short space of time.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help but hopefully this will give you some more ideas.

Thank you so much, no really it did help. That's really insightful and is actually a strong point - about his reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2016
TSR Support Team
I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.