The Student Room Group

Do you suffer from Hayfever? What are the best Hayfever Hacks?

Hayfever seems to be affecting more and more people each year. How does it affect you, or are you one of the lucky ones who aren't affected?

I seem to get it worse each year, and it's been affecting my asthma too, meaning I've felt ill the last couple of years from it. Of course, I take hayfever tablets (Loratadine - I used to take Cetirizine for years, but these became less affective) and my brown preventative inhaler to try and tackle it, but it never seems to be completely gone :shakecane:

I've had a bit of a research and nothing seems to help at the moment - including all the 'wrap around sunglasses, showers in the evening' etc. Have you got any Hayfever Hacks that help you? Post any helpful links or advice below :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hayfever hacks? :erm: Stay away from flowers?? :tongue:
Honestly when I wake up at this time of year, after breakfast I always take a Piriton or two...that helps me A LOT
I carry around Optrex eye drops too, so if my eyes just get too out of control, I use that.
And finally plenty of tissues...

Unfortunately that's all I have to offer...
:flower:
Totally anecdotal but I know someone who gave up dairy products and that really helped. Who knows why or how? :dontknow:Could be nonsense.
Manuka Honey works for me.
Reply 4
Local honey has worked reasonably well for me the last couple of years, but I've never found anything that stops it completely
do you possibly need a stronger inhaler. My asthma used to be triggered by hayfever so I went to the doctor and found I needed a stronger inhaler. Since then I've never looked back.

In terms of natural remedies apparently honey's very good for easing hayfever symptoms.
I'm on fexofenadine. :biggrin:
If it's affecting your asthma could be worth upping the preventative for the summer, ask your GP obviously but I do that when it's really bad! Am on quite a lot of different asthma meds though so just do it automatically most of the time trying to save on hospital visits :redface: other than that, as someone else said local honey, and also avoid the times of day where hayfever is worst where possible (I think evening?) and whichever plants it is that you're worst with if you can work it out (eg grass- feels weird calling that a plant though!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Stay in your bedroom and have the whole house on lockdown. Seems to work a charm for me! Or over exposing yourself, dying for the first few weeks and then feel an immunity building up against your immune system for bullying your nose and eyes.
Apparently you can get mesh for windows to reduce the amount of pollen getting in - I imagine this could be quite useful, especially for early mornings, i.e. before tablets etc would have been taken :holmes:
I have awful hay fever from January to October (nearly all year).

When it starts in January, I basically have loads of nose bleeds. This year, it was like 12 nose bleeds in a week which is honestly ridiculous. A lot of the time in January when it's just starting again, I have to leave class to put a cold/wet tissue on my eyes, just for some relief. My mum used to put cucumbers on my eyes lmao.

I have eczema and asthma also, so I've been blessed with the atopy triad...:angry:

I really worried I'm gonna have a nose bleed in one of my GCSE exams this year...

Hacks: I don't really know any, I'm looking for some too! I start my medication early even when I'm not getting symptoms so I'm just ahead.
Original post by Hardigan
do you possibly need a stronger inhaler. My asthma used to be triggered by hayfever so I went to the doctor and found I needed a stronger inhaler. Since then I've never looked back.

In terms of natural remedies apparently honey's very good for easing hayfever symptoms.

Original post by furryface12
If it's affecting your asthma could be worth upping the preventative for the summer, ask your GP obviously but I do that when it's really bad! Am on quite a lot of different asthma meds though so just do it automatically most of the time trying to save on hospital visits :redface: other than that, as someone else said local honey, and also avoid the times of day where hayfever is worst where possible (I think evening?) and whichever plants it is that you're worst with if you can work it out (eg grass- feels weird calling that a plant though!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Until last year I was only on the blue inhaler, and had been since I was about 5. But then because I was getting so ill and chesty the doctor started me on brown inhaler which worked a treat for coughs I'd get from the mix of asthma and hayfever, but my poor eyes, nose, and throat are still suffering :redface:

I've just taken some local honey, although I have some left from last year, so I hope that will still be okay. And it's local honey from my hometown, not where I am in Uni, but I hope it'll help me build some resistance before I go home for summer :smile:
Yes, and I only realised last year when colleagues gave me tablets and it fixed me.

I probably still won't take anything this year I'll just work through it :lol:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Totally anecdotal but I know someone who gave up dairy products and that really helped. Who knows why or how? :dontknow:Could be nonsense.

But... cheese :cry2:

I've just been looking at foods to avoid with hayfever and it's basically everything I love :sad:

"Dairy products: increase mucus production.
Meat: arachidonic acid contributes to allergic and inflammatory reactions.
Wheat and wheat products such as pasta, bread and noodles.
Caffeine and alcohol: a congested liver can increase hay fever symptoms.
Tomatoes, oranges, cheese, red wine, chocolate: contain histamine."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-111273/How-better-diet-beat-suffering-hayfever.html

So there's the answer to avoid dairy - because of increase mucus production (same to avoid them when you're ill), lovely :tongue:
So worried this year because hayfever + GCSEs doesn't sound great :/
I take cetrizine everyday during hayfever season and started trying salt water nasal sprays which are quite helpful. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to one kind of steroidal nasal spray and the other type I m not supposed to use too much as then that's too many steroids in my body if I end up needing my asthma inhalers at the same time. I ve also got eye drops but I find them really difficult to put in :/
Original post by surina16
So worried this year because hayfever + GCSEs doesn't sound great :/

Same, I have my GCSEs this year and one of my symptoms for hay fever is nose bleeds. If I have a nose bleed in an exam, it would be so embarrassing and awkward and I wouldn't be able to write.
Original post by romansholiday
Same, I have my GCSEs this year and one of my symptoms for hay fever is nose bleeds. If I have a nose bleed in an exam, it would be so embarrassing and awkward and I wouldn't be able to write.

Ah nose bleeds sound terrible! My eyes just keep watering/crying, and I have sneezing attacks :colonhash:
Original post by romansholiday

Original post by surina16
Ah nose bleeds sound terrible! My eyes just keep watering/crying, and I have sneezing attacks :colonhash:

Let your school know - you might be able to get extenuating circumstances or a separate room, depending on how it affects you. Worth a shot :tongue:
My hayfever seems to be rearing its ugly head this year. My experience is different from year to year - my first year with hayfever I came out in a giant rash (an allergy to grass apparently - I haven't dared sit on grass since) but mostly I feel it in my throat. This year, though, I've been sneezing a lot and you don't want to know how many tissues I get through when I'm outside. I have a particularly strong reaction to grass and trees but flowers aren't great either. The smell of freshly mowed grass actually makes me feel sick these days.

My sister has asthma and definitely finds her hayfever is a trigger. She also has to switch anti-histamines every so often. She's back on Cetirizine now after being on Loratadine last year. She was on Fexofenadine for a couple of years, which really helped until she got a bit too used to it. I also tried Fexofenadine and it was great but I'm not on one right now because I have to talk with my doctor about which ones I can take with my other meds.

Quick Reply

Latest