Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Giving up completely. University, life, everything!

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am in such a horrible state of mind, I just don't know what else to do any more. I am a second year university student, studying a course that I do not even think I want to progress further into and my grades are just absolutely rubbish. Last year, my grades were on track, but this year grades really do count and I am currently getting between B and C, only today I just found out I got a D from an assignment I thought I worked hard on.

I have been up since 5 this morning thinking about my life. I am currently pregnant and I am happy but I am scared of the future, about how I am going to provide for my little one because I don't want to rely on benefits. I have worked before and I have paid my taxes, by the way! I have my partner's support but he cannot do it all by himself! I'm really at loss. Here's the options I am thinking of:

Option 1:
    Apply for interruption of studies at university for a year, and while I am off for the year - have my baby, but also study alongside an HSC Level 3 towards an NVQ Assessor pathway (which is what I have always wanted to do, and still thinking about doing it now) and then decide whether I want to leave university for good, depending on how the latter is going.

Option 2:
    Stick with university, despite the probability of getting bad grades and potentially achieve a 2:2 or even a 3rd class honours as well as looking after a baby, suffering from bad grades and getting no prospects in the future. A waste of extra 9k tuition fees and also maintenance loan (which I wouldn't have to pay back if I finished my degree).

Option 3:
    Do not go back to university. Leave and hope for the best that the pathway I am leading onto will help me in the future!

What do I do? :'(
    I really am getting fed up of my life.

Sorry to hear that you're struggling You need to do what is best for you, what is easiest and what will make you the happiest. If you really don't like your course you're obviously going to lack motivation. I think option 1 is a very sensible idea. You're having a baby and not enjoying your course, so if you're having to care for the baby as well as work for something you don't like, it's going to be incredibly difficult. Option 1 gives you time to think about things and decide what is best for you, you won't have to rush into a decision. It seems a rational and sensible way to work things out and give yourself a bit of happiness where you can look at things in a more positive mindset!

I hope things improve and congratulations and good luck with the baby
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.