The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Living Outside St Andrews

Hey guys,

I have an offer from St Andrews for postgraduate study, and I'd rather live in private accommodation than in student housing. As St Andrews itself seems fairly expensive, I was wondering whether there's anywhere close by with good public transport where students live? I'm not from the area and I probably won't be able to visit (so finding housing will probably be difficult haha), so I'm just looking for recommendations. :smile: I live in a small village close to my university town atm too and I don't mind the commute as long as living is nice and cheaper and there's a regular bus.
Reply 1
Original post by chamandee
Hey guys,

I have an offer from St Andrews for postgraduate study, and I'd rather live in private accommodation than in student housing. As St Andrews itself seems fairly expensive, I was wondering whether there's anywhere close by with good public transport where students live? I'm not from the area and I probably won't be able to visit (so finding housing will probably be difficult haha), so I'm just looking for recommendations. :smile: I live in a small village close to my university town atm too and I don't mind the commute as long as living is nice and cheaper and there's a regular bus.

A number live in Dundee - frequent buses, takes around 35-40 minutes http://www.dundeetravelinfo.com/data/timetables/Timetable_29537_99%20Fife%20.pdf
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by oldlady
A number live in Dundee - frequent buses, takes around 35-40 minutes http://www.dundeetravelinfo.com/data/timetables/Timetable_29537_99%20Fife%20.pdf

Thanks! I thought that was too far, but I may consider it, seeing as it's a bigger city and all that jazz.
Reply 3
If you want to be closer than Dundee, many staff live in Cupar, which is more like 20 minutes by bus. It's basically a market town though, and doesn't have a student-focused social scene at all.
Reply 4
Original post by SL1235
If you want to be closer than Dundee, many staff live in Cupar, which is more like 20 minutes by bus. It's basically a market town though, and doesn't have a student-focused social scene at all.

I've decided for Edinburgh now, but thanks for the info anyways!
Reply 5
Why did you decided for Edimburg? I am going to study for 3 months topics relates with my PhD. and at most I would want to go to the university three times at week. Can somebody give an advise about where to live?
Original post by chamandee
Hey guys,

You know, the Western side of St Andrews is basically a typical British residential suburb (semi-detached houses) where, if you share a house with 3 or 4 other students you can rent for pretty cheap (~£350pm + bills). It'd be a 5 min bike ride into the centre of town, there is also a bus I believe
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending