The Student Room Group

Maths A Level - how hard will it be a B grade gcse student?

^ as the question states

I'm just wondering, because I've heard a lot of mixed answers about Maths A Level. Some people act like it's p*ss-easy and others act like it's the hardest subject there is.

So, i'm a tad confused.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
^ as the question states

I'm just wondering, because I've heard a lot of mixed answers about Maths A Level. Some people act like it's p*ss-easy and others act like it's the hardest subject there is.

So, i'm a tad confused.

It all depends how much work your willing to put in. At GCSE i only iust achieved an A and I've practically got full marks in every test. Where as people who got A*'s I've seen a few get D's and below.

GCSE maths is completely different to A-Level maths, so as long as you put a lot of work in for Core 1 (the first unit) then the rest will become a lot easier.
Original post by Bruce267099
It all depends how much work your willing to put in. At GCSE i only iust achieved an A and I've practically got full marks in every test. Where as people who got A*'s I've seen a few get D's and below.

GCSE maths is completely different to A-Level maths, so as long as you put a lot of work in for Core 1 (the first unit) then the rest will become a lot easier.

Aha. Alright.
Thanks a lot, man (:
Yeah, I got a B in GCSE maths but I put the effort in for A level Maths and got an A. Didn't put that much effort for the B in GCSE Maths.
Original post by reg123098
Yeah, I got a B in GCSE maths but I put the effort in for A level Maths and got an A. Didn't put that much effort for the B in GCSE Maths.

Wow I'm doing an intensive A level maths this year and got a B in GCSEs and I'm sure I'm going to fail. How many hours do you think I should put in to get at least a B in A Levels. I have 40 days. What should I do.
Best thing to do would be to do past papers as well as revise resources the teachers give to you such as a textbook. In that way you will understand the way of answering exam style questions as well as the content. Depending on the number of A levels you are doing I would spend approximately 2 hours 30 minutes everyday if you are doing 3 A levels. Best advice from me would be to go over the formulas and revise topics from the textbooks for 1 hour and do a past paper for the remaining 1 hour 30 minutes. After you completed the paper go and mark it with the mark schemes available but do this in your free time and not within the 2 hour 30 minutes. I used this method because I did 3 A levels and overall came out with an A for maths which helped to be in the position now of studying at university. Hope this may be of some help to you. Good luck.
Reply 6
Best thing to do would be to do past papers as well as revise resources the teachers give to you such as a textbook. In that way you will understand the way of answering exam style questions as well as the content. Depending on the number of A levels you are doing I would spend approximately 2 hours 30 minutes everyday if you are doing 3 A levels. Best advice from me would be to go over the formulas and revise topics from the textbooks for 1 hour and do a past paper for the remaining 1 hour 30 minutes. After you completed the paper go and mark it with the mark schemes available but do this in your free time and not within the 2 hour 30 minutes. I used this method because I did 3 A levels and overall came out with an A for maths which helped to be in the position now of studying at university. Hope this may be of some help to you. Good luck.

What course are you studying?
I am studying Law at university.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing it independently so I'm just doing a level maths AS and A2. Going in for exams and that's about it
Oh okay, well then there's a great opportunity for you to smash these exams :smile:
I got a B at GCSE and am on course for an A at A Level. I have been taking advantage of every opportunity, after school sessions, lunch times, doing past papers at home, etc. If you do all of that you will be just fine.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I'm sure I won't

that's really great advice, i'll definitely make a note of it

Thank you. (:
Reply 13
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
that's really great advice, i'll definitely make a note of it

Thank you. (:

One change to the above advice: instead of setting yourself time-oriented objectives such as "do 2 and a half hours of work today", set yourself goal-oriented objectives such as "do 1 C1 and 1 C2 paper today". It helps boost productivity, usually.

Quick Reply

Latest