Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Gcse options 2016

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

like others, i really enjoy statistics and find it quite easy so would definitely recommend it! however, the controlled assessment can be tedious and time-consuming and, for most, tends to pull your overall grade down. so if your not overly keen on controlled assessment it may not be the best; although i do think its pretty manageable, especially if in class you do a practice investigation.

(Original post by xxSonuxx)
    Thanks for your suggestion; it has helped me. What do you think about GCSE Geography and BTEC Health and Social Care? Are BTECs considered weak to GCSEs? I don't know...
    At GCSE, a BTEC won't hold you back at all and if you're considering picking BTECs I wouldn't at all discourage it. People tend to look down on them but there's nothing wrong with that- they're just an alternative to more traditional GCSEs/A levels etc (and better for many people as they don't have exams)

When you get round to picking for A level though, and if you want to study something academic at university (history/geography/maths/English/science- anything like that) then BTECs are certainly considered weaker, even more so when it comes to the top universities. They certainly won't disregard you if you have one BTEC and 2 A levels say, but for the likes of Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Warwick etc. it'll weaken your chances considerably (which is a shame because BTECs are equivalent to A levels and should be treated such but aren't)

And personally I think GCSE Geography would be a really good choice. I never took it but I only heard good friends from those who did and they're now doing it at AS/A level and is a very prestigious subject to have so I'd recommend it definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by xxSonuxx)
    Hi there. I have a week left before I submit my final set of GCSE options, which I will be taking in June 2018. The options are as follows:

GCSE English Literature
    GCSE English Language
    GCSE Maths
    GCSE Science (Double or Triple, I am not sure yet)
    GCSE Spanish
    GCSE P.E.
    GCSE History
    GCSE Photography
    GCSE Statistics (NOT SURE)

I have tried to keep a wide variety of options, so they are open for more career courses, however, I am not sure about GCSE Statistics, as many people have claimed that the coursework involved requires a lot of work and is immensely boring, but it is quite easy and useful for further mathematical, geographical and science careers at A-Levels or Uni. Plus, it is good to have an extra GCSE. I have not really decided fully on it, but I don't know what to do for reserve.
    Please drop down your opinions on these options, as they would be really useful for me - I want to get a wide variety of options and they should be enjoyable. Thank you.
    I know you have probably decided now but if it helps, I think you have chosen some really good options. Sport, creativity, academic and fun! I am sitting my GCSES this year (2016) so not long now! I am doing:
    OCR Business Studies
    ECDL Computing
    CIE English Language
    AQA English Literature
    OCR French
    Edexcel History
    Edexcel Maths
    AQA Use of Maths
    Edexcel Music
    OCR Philosophy and Ethics
    AQA Core Science
    AQA Additional Science
    AQA Further Additional Science
    OCR Critical Thinking
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.