The Student Room Group

Kosher sandwitch ideas

I am the only one who eats kosher in the house so it is difficult as my mum sometimes makes me food and she forgets what is kosher and gives me things like chicken sandwich with soft cheese I eat it because I don't want to throw away food.What sort of things can I put in a sandwich to make it kosher?

Any ideas? Please share.
Original post by Maria1812
I am the only one who eats kosher in the house so it is difficult as my mum sometimes makes me food and she forgets what is kosher and gives me things like chicken sandwich with soft cheese I eat it because I don't want to throw away food.What sort of things can I put in a sandwich to make it kosher?

Any ideas? Please share.

Do you enjoy anything like corned beef or tuna? Tuna is great for sandwiches because you can get it in small tins or pouches, which makes it easy to serve one person if you just want it for yourself. I like corned beef sandwiches, too. I think they have a lot of taste even without anything else on the sandwich. If you want things like chicken and turkey sandwiches you could try recommending vegetable accompaniments to your mum - things like falafel are great on sandwiches, and contain no dairy. Or if you're not keen on the flavours in falafel you can make other ball shaped snacks with your own flavour combinations. I've also seen some very nice vegan sandwiches which involve beans and houmous on a wrap. You could also try looking for meat spreads to put on sandwiches. A lot of those you find on supermarket shelves contain meat and dairy, but you can get some out of the fridge which just contain meat and seasonings. I find them very convenient.

I'm not kosher myself but I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I can eat because of various dietary requirements. I hope this helps a little. If it doesn't you could make a list of the kind of foods you like or what are convenient for you to get and I could try and come up with some ideas based on those.
Why can't you eat chicken and soft cheese?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't mix dairy with meat when you're keeping Kosher.
Original post by mscaffrey
You shouldn't mix dairy with meat when you're keeping Kosher.

All meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All meat apart from fish. Some Jewish groups allow poultry and dairy because there are different ways of interpreting the rules (poultry don't produce milk themselves, so they could be considered different to the mammals that produce milk and therefore the flesh from poultry could be considered distinct from the flesh of mammals), but other groups count poultry as a meat for the sake of this rule.
Reply 6
Veggie sandwiches: cheese salad, quorn and salad with mayonnaise, marmalade, peanut butter, egg mayo, chocolate spread, cheese.

All veggie so kosher as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might be their way of stopping cross contamination between two different animal products?

Quick Reply

Latest