The Student Room Group

AS Sociology Education Exam Question Help?!

I am in year 12 and currently studying AS Sociology. I have been set a 20 mark exam question on education to do over easter and have been finding the structure and what to included difficult!
This question is:

Applying material from item A and elsewhere, evaluate sociological explanations for social class inequality in education
Item A basically mentions in-school factors, and material and cultural factors at home.

I understand the actual information I am just a little unsure on the AO2 part? Do i use direct criticisms e.g. criticize teacher-labelling, marketization ect. or do I criticize by mentioning gender and ethnicity?
(edited 8 years ago)
I would guess that you have to evaluate labelling and marketisation in relation to gender, ethnicity and social class.
But seeing as it mentions social class directly in the question, then criticise the concepts in relation to social class.

Thats what I'd do and I took the education exam last year.
Don't know if thats any help :smile:
Thank you so much :smile:xx

Original post by ChloeElizabeth01
I would guess that you have to evaluate labelling and marketisation in relation to gender, ethnicity and social class.
But seeing as it mentions social class directly in the question, then criticise the concepts in relation to social class.

Thats what I'd do and I took the education exam last year.
Don't know if thats any help :smile:
Reply 3
Is this a 10 mark question? If so you can write about any of the following:

External factors:
Material deprivation
Cultural deprivation

Internal factors
Labelling
Subcultures
Cream skimming and silt shifting

I would normally do two paragraphs and structure them how you would in a main body paragraph in a 30 marker. I would talk about the theory and at the end of the paragraph I'd do two criticisms of it.

Hope that's helped😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I should have said, but its a 20 mark essay question. And thank you for the tips :smile:

Original post by elise68
Is this a 10 mark question? If so you can write about any of the following:

External factors:
Material deprivation
Cultural deprivation

Internal factors
Labelling
Subcultures
Cream skimming and silt shifting

I would normally do two paragraphs and structure them how you would in a main body paragraph in a 30 marker. I would talk about the theory and at the end of the paragraph I'd do two criticisms of it.

Hope that's helped😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending