The Student Room Group

Preparing for the MLAT?

Hi,
I'm applying to study German and Russian at Oxford - I'm doing German at A level and I've been learning Russian independently for years now. I've seen one past paper for the MLAT that the Oxford website provided, and the Russian side looks ok, but the German paper looks quite difficult. I don't know whether this means I know Russian better or whether the benchmark is lower because they don't expect as many people to know Russian as know German. Has anyone sat these papers and has any tips on how to prepare, because I'm really worried about it?
Thanks,
Barbastelle
Original post by Barbastelle
Hi,
I'm applying to study German and Russian at Oxford - I'm doing German at A level and I've been learning Russian independently for years now. I've seen one past paper for the MLAT that the Oxford website provided, and the Russian side looks ok, but the German paper looks quite difficult. I don't know whether this means I know Russian better or whether the benchmark is lower because they don't expect as many people to know Russian as know German. Has anyone sat these papers and has any tips on how to prepare, because I'm really worried about it?
Thanks,
Barbastelle

For German you just need to know your grammar really well. Make sure you know things like the different tenses and the cases really really well, as it's mainly a grammar test.
Original post by such_a_lady
For German you just need to know your grammar really well. Make sure you know things like the different tenses and the cases really really well, as it's mainly a grammar test.

Thanks! Do you know if there is a certain benchmark that you have to pass in the test to be invited for interview?
Barbastelle
Thanks! Do you know if there is a certain benchmark that you have to pass in the test to be invited for interview?
Barbastelle

I believe there is but that it's very low. The vast majority of languages applicants are invited to interview. :smile:
I believe there is but that it's very low. The vast majority of languages applicants are invited to interview. :smile:

Oh really? That's really set my mind at rest! Thanks so much! <3
Barbastelle
Oh really? That's really set my mind at rest! Thanks so much! <3
Barbastelle

No problem! Can any of your teachers make extra MLAT style papers for you, and are you able to go over grammar points that you don't quite understand with them? :smile:
No problem! Can any of your teachers make extra MLAT style papers for you, and are you able to go over grammar points that you don't quite understand with them? :smile:

I've asked my German teacher to give me mini test papers of a similar difficulty and he says he'll try, but he's one of these lovely confuddled teachers who says he'll do something and then completely forgets about it, bless him
Barbastelle
Hmmm, I sent a reply earlier, but it says it's been 'reviewed by a moderator'.
Anyway, I wrote that I've asked my German teacher to make some tests of a similar difficulty for me, and he says that he will, but he often forgets these things! I guess I'll just have to keep reminding him :wink:
Barbastelle
Hmmm, I sent a reply earlier, but it says it's been 'reviewed by a moderator'.
Anyway, I wrote that I've asked my German teacher to make some tests of a similar difficulty for me, and he says that he will, but he often forgets these things! I guess I'll just have to keep reminding him :wink:
Barbastelle

How strange! And that sounds great :smile: let me know if you have any more questions about the German course! I have some resources about applying for languages in my signature :smile:
How strange! And that sounds great :smile: let me know if you have any more questions about the German course! I have some resources about applying for languages in my signature :smile:

I know haha, I hope they don't think I'm a wrong'un O.o
I'd love to see whatever help you have =D
Is it ok if I PM you to ask you some questions about course content? :heart:
Barbastelle
I know haha, I hope they don't think I'm a wrong'un O.o
I'd love to see whatever help you have =D
Is it ok if I PM you to ask you some questions about course content? :heart:
Barbastelle

Absolutely fine!

Quick Reply

Latest