The Student Room Group

When do I actually apply?

Hi guys. I'm about to finish my 2nd year of Computer Science.

I'd love to go straight into a masters program once I finish my third year, however I have no idea when to apply nor how? Do I apply once my 3rd year is finished, or, as I'm assuming, during my 3rd year - so this September-ish?
The short answer is 'when you're ready'

Longer answer: it's likely that your third year will help you decide which Masters to do, as your academic interests develop. You need to apply early enough to meet deadlines, but late enough to be able to put together a convincing application.

Start looking in September, get an idea of when the application deadlines are, narrow down your interests (which could be at dissertation stage if you're doing one) and take it from there.

You apply directly to each university so they will all have different deadlines and application procedures (some will be complicated, others straightforward) so make sure you allow plenty of time - don't leave things until just before the deadline!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jantaculum
The short answer is 'when you're ready'

Longer answer: it's likely that your third year will help you decide which Masters to do, as your academic interests develop. You need to apply early enough to meet deadlines, but late enough to be able to put together a convincing application.

Start looking in September, get an idea of when the application deadlines are, narrow down your interests (which could be at dissertation stage if you're doing one) and take it from there.

You apply directly to each university so they will all have different deadlines and application procedures (some will be complicated, others straightforward) so make sure you allow plenty of time.

Thank you very much.

And, so I don't apply through UCAS?
Reply 3
Original post by wriggltive
Thank you very much.

No, every uni runs its own application process. There will be a link on your course's web page.
Original post by wriggltive
Thank you very much.

Some are UCAS but generally no, each application is separate.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/postgraduate-study/what-ukpass

You should also check out funding, hopefully postgraduate loans will be in place later this year but it's not definite yet

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/finance-and-support/postgraduate-fees-and-funding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending