Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Switching Courses/Departments (Business>Economics)

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

The University of Nottingham has been kind enough to offer me an alternative course following my rejection from PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) many weeks ago, and I have to say that one of the main reasons why I would want to attend the Uni of Notti would be to swap courses.

The alternative course was Industrial Economics, so it doesn't have much to do with PPE as it is very much micro-focused, unlike PPE. IE is in the business school while PPE is in the economics school. Have you known/heard of anyone who has swapped courses and not only that, but swapped into a very prestigious and hard to get into course, into another department?

I understand I would still need appropriate A level grades to have such a switch of courses be accepted, but I would assume a university would much rather allow one of its students to enter a top course in year 2 rather than someone from another university, if one person would drop PPE in their first year, or swap courses.

Do you think I could make the move if I were to choose as many optional modules as I can to make my course more similar to PPE in the first year? I have to say I am very confident I would be able to do very well in my first year of uni, so would appropriate A level grades and (assuming I would have) a very good track record in my first year allow me to swap courses?

Thank you very much for your opinions! The time to choose universities is dangerously close so I could use as much advice/as many opinions as possible!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.