Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

PGCE without Honours degree (Scotland)

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently finishing up with a second year Social Sciences degree in Scotland. I am aware that it's possible to apply for post grad teaching without completing fourth year honours. But, I was just wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of actually getting in without the honours?


    I have applied for the PGDE for entry this year and, through looking at the posts on the Facebook discussion pages, there is no consensus. Some people have been offered places without having honours, some have not. Getting into the course depends on various factors and not just your degree classification, e.g. the amount and type of experience you have in schools, your reference, your performance at interview, your commitment/passion/interests, your Standard Grade/National/Higher/Advanced Higher Grades (even if you have a 1st class honours degree they are unlikely to offer you a place without at least a C at Higher English and a 2 or above in Standard Grade Maths).

    In answer to your question it really comes down to what you want and what you are applying for. If you are applying for a secondary subject, especially a shortage one such as Maths or Physics, then there is a greater chance you may be accepted with an ordinary degree. You said you are studying a degree in Social Sciences - Modern Studies and History are highly competitive so I would recommend gaining an honours degree. If you want to apply for Primary teaching, where there is significantly more competition than secondary teaching, a honours degree would again be beneficial. Yes, it is completely possible that you could be offered a place without honours, but many candidates would be more qualified.

    You really need to also consider if teaching is what you want to do for the rest of your life - an honours degree will help you if you want to change course later down the line. Also, in some universities some credits for the PGDE are the equivalent of a Masters Degree - it may be useful if you have experience of writing a dissertation etc...

    I would recommend gaining some experience in schools over the next few months and in August to help you make your decision.

    Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you need any more info! Good luck!
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.