The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

what would you compare the Deccan plateau with?
Reply 221
For tectonics could someone please outline what goes in the research and methodolgy?My teacher said the methodology is just a table of which sources you used for which case studys.Surely that can not be all for 12 marks?Pleas can someone help?I am desperate!!!
Do you lose lots of marks if you structure it in landforms but you use case studies to back your landforms up, which are tectonic landscapes e.g EARV , Himalayas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ula456
For tectonics could someone please outline what goes in the research and methodolgy?My teacher said the methodology is just a table of which sources you used for which case studys.Surely that can not be all for 12 marks?Pleas can someone help?I am desperate!!!

You can also do a paragraph if it is easier, the table should include the source, the reliability, the purpose in production and its utility. If it is easier you can number these sources make a note and use them as reference in the body of the report.
Reply 224
Original post by Hannahokelly
What examples/case studies are people doing for seismic processes?

omg yeah i have hardly any! does anyone have suggestions plzzzzz
Original post by pbjane
Is anyone else including subconclusions throughout the body of the report, as it says on the mark scheme to have 'ongoing evaluation', so if not how are you evaluating throughout?
I'm thinking of using sub-conclusions but i'm really not sure if it'll be a waste of time?? Can't decide what to do
Original post by Raisa97
Do you lose lots of marks if you structure it in landforms but you use case studies to back your landforms up, which are tectonic landscapes e.g EARV , Himalayas

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. In the previous mark scheme it says you can lay it out like this, as long as you focus on the scale of it and say if any other features are formed etc
Original post by Hannahokelly
I'm thinking of using sub-conclusions but i'm really not sure if it'll be a waste of time?? Can't decide what to do

Mini conclusions are good because if you don't have time to finish you can still get evaluation marks.
Reply 228
Original post by Phoenix1998
You can also do a paragraph if it is easier, the table should include the source, the reliability, the purpose in production and its utility. If it is easier you can number these sources make a note and use them as reference in the body of the report.

Thank you!
Reply 229
Should you write in 1st person e.g 'In this report I be analyising the impact of seismic, extrusive and intrusive processes on the landscape etc'??
Reply 230
I'm not comparing two actual landforms/landscapes with each other i'm comparing which ha greatest impact out of intrusive, extrusive and seismic
Reply 231
guys spent too much time talking about each case study which one should I remove if I don't have long enough:

Extrusive- Yellowstone, Mauna Loa, Soufriere Hills
Intrusive- Dartmoor Batholiths, Northumbria Sills, Edinburgh Volcanic Plug?

Cheers :smile:

BTW- Anyone asking for case studies now there isn't any point, too late to remember. Try to focus on ones you have as you evidently feel comfortable with them! Stick to your gut
Reply 232
whoever got recommended 15 mins planning is madness. Why cant it be 3 hours long ffs!!!!! All seriousness good luck to everyone tomorrow absolutely smash it, and lets all get to uni. I personally have found this v challenging as its not my thing but lets just get on with it and see what happens!!! being negative, nervous etc now wont make a difference. Im now going to chill like everyone should and watch the euros :tongue:
Can someone please help me with the definitions of a couple of things:
Seismic processes
Tectonic processes

Also, I'm structuring my report by location by going:
West USA - Cascades, Columbia lava plateau, Yellowstone (caldera + geyser), San Andreas fault
Isle of Arran - batholith (Goatfell), sills (Drumadoon), dykes (Kildonan)
EARV - the rift valley itself, Erta Ale, Mount Kenya + Kilimanjaro
Fold mountains - comparing Himilayas to Andes and also to the Cascades demonstrating ongoing evaluation.

Not sure if my way is good after reading some of the detail people have gone into but fingers crossed they don't ask a horrid question. Good luck all.
Original post by Ula456

Basically split it into sources methodology and case study methodology, justify the use of a few of your sources probably use your better ones and use a range, like have websites clubbed together then maybe a textbook so do roughly four in total, then justify your main case studies, briefly explain why you've used them. This is what my teacher has told me to do anyway, hope it's helped!!
Reply 235
Original post by T1221
Should you write in 1st person e.g 'In this report I be analyising the impact of seismic, extrusive and intrusive processes on the landscape etc'??

No i wouldn't, say 'this report will...' instead
Reply 236
Okay - Time to fit a whole years worth of revision in 7 hours - have a monsters energy drink - sit the exam - ACE THIS ****!!!!!!! WHOSE WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Ula456

A methodology table is a good idea however, it does take up too much time in the exam. The examiners report last time said that little is more. If you do too much drawing out a table you won't have enough time to write down the sources in the exam.

Just a heads up as well, the Research and Methodology section is worth 15 marks not 12.

You need to source all the way throughout your report. Do it after every section you do.
For example:
"Destructive margins

At Destructive plate boundaries, composite volcanoes can occur. This is definitive landscape.

source: google"

Of course don't right it like that in the exam but hopefully you'll understand what I mean :smile:
I know some people are taking seismic processes to mean fault lines and fold mountains but I wasn't taught that and that's not the definition of seismic strictly as far as I can find?? so am meeting half way, going to talk about the San Andreas fault line but then I will talk about how secondary hazards of earthquakes can shape a landscape for example the liquefaction that occurred at Haiti and Christchurch.
Original post by kmcmanus
I know some people are taking seismic processes to mean fault lines and fold mountains but I wasn't taught that and that's not the definition of seismic strictly as far as I can find?? so am meeting half way, going to talk about the San Andreas fault line but then I will talk about how secondary hazards of earthquakes can shape a landscape for example the liquefaction that occurred at Haiti and Christchurch.

Seimsic is stresses in the rocks.
So San Andreas = shear stress
Fold mountains= compressional stress
Rift valleys= tensional stress

If you look at the mark scheme from last time the case studies they mentioned are San Andreas, Himalayas and East African Rift Valley. All of which are seismic landscapes. I did geology last year and we covered a lot of this ☺️ But I think you can talk about liquefaction, just wanted to explain incase you wanted to write more !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending