The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

I study geology and have the text book if anyone wants screen shots on this topic of earth tectonics , i study geography as well and it is a great help understanding the mechanisms
I am also doing tectonics for Unit 4 and I am really struggling atm in terms of what to revise, because I am an external student.
If anyone has any notes/help/prediction questions they could email me I would really appreciate it.
Also I have noticed the January 2011 question is very similar, if anyone could email me a decent report to that that too I would be grateful.. I could also email my January 2011 report back to you once I've done it.
Any help please (Same goes for unit 3 pre release)
Reply 22
Can someone please send me an example of a report they've done that's linked to the synoptic of forming distinctive landscapes? I'm really struggling :frown:
Reply 23
How would you talk about plate boundaries being distinctive?
Original post by Jacobv
What themes would be best to provide clear landscapes?
Either location, process or others because I don't know.

Also any case studies.

We look at garrotxa volcanic national park in northern spain there is lots of good academic papers on this and there is different landscapes within the area produced by different intrusive activities.
Original post by JPFM
How would you talk about plate boundaries being distinctive?

Look at roy collards model of landscape development to look at the difference from what you should see in theory and what is actually visible. when looking at unique boundary types it's important to recognise that no two boundaries are the same and even though you expect the same landscape different landscapes can occur due to the different conditions that the activity meets. I find it's a good idea to look at the idea of pheomagmatic and monomagmatic to compare how the same landscapes are produced on different scales due to the amount of times they've erupted. also don't forget that though in theory things have formed in similar ways the two landscapes can be very different.

hope this helps you a bit I picked this up from my fieldwork and teacher
Reply 26
Original post by amjones081997
I study geology and have the text book if anyone wants screen shots on this topic of earth tectonics , i study geography as well and it is a great help understanding the mechanisms

Yes please. Shall I DM my email address?
Original post by Tdkh98
I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...

Hey, would you mind sending me this as well?
I really want to get my head around what I need to do and my teacher is of no help at all.:confused:
Original post by HazzaPOTTER
Hey, would you mind sending me this as well?
I really want to get my head around what I need to do and my teacher is of no help at all.:confused:

Please could you send me too. Would really appreciate. [email protected]
Original post by Tdkh98
I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...

sorry to be a massive pain but would you mind sending it to me too? thankyou so much
Reply 30
Original post by geogers
Hi Guys, so what landscapes are people focusing on? Looking at the 2011 pre release which was very similar the examiners said it was best to focus on places rather than by case study, does everyone agree with this? I have gone for East African rift valley, West USA as two definite areas as they offer a wide variety. Whats everyone's thoughts on other regions?

I literally do not understand what the difference is between place and case study. I was going to organise my answer by location and talking about the landscape there but isn't that just the same as doing it by case study?
Original post by Tdkh98

Please can you send me a copy too. [email protected]
Reply 32
Could do how similar processes lead to drastically different landscapes as well.
Examples:
Deccan vs Hawaii
EARV vs Mid Atlantic Ridge
Remember not to confuse landscapes with landforms
Reply 33
Would you be able to send me the draft too please x
Reply 34
Original post by Manexopi
I literally do not understand what the difference is between place and case study. I was going to organise my answer by location and talking about the landscape there but isn't that just the same as doing it by case study?

By place I guess is the same as location. Then within that location talk about the variety of landforms that form the overall landscape?
Reply 35
Original post by MobiDo
Could do how similar processes lead to drastically different landscapes as well.
Examples:
Deccan vs Hawaii
EARV vs Mid Atlantic Ridge
Remember not to confuse landscapes with landforms

You're right that they are different things completely, but surely we will need to talk about the landforms that together create distinctive landscapes?
Reply 36
Original post by geogers
You're right that they are different things completely, but surely we will need to talk about the landforms that together create distinctive landscapes?

Well yes you would naturally mention those. For example, with Hawaii, the landscape is the island chain, but you must mention the landforms (shield volcanoes) that produce them. Likewise, with the Deccan plateau you have the fissure volcanoes that caused the landscape to be layed down (contrasting scales as Hawaii still active).

With the Mid Atlantic Rift there's the string of transform faults and mountains while the East African Rift Valley does allow some volcanic activity, as well as other distinct landforms like fault scarps and grabens that ultimately come together to form the EARV.

It is notable that the january 2011 mark scheme and examiner report make it clear that better candidates gave landscapes on the whole greater focus than individual landforms.

Hope this helps
Reply 37
Do you think the question will focus on how tectonic landscapes are distinctive or how tectonic processes form landscapes?

I'm not very good at explaining tectonic processes , does anyone know where i could look to get explanations? I've already looked in my school textbooks.
Original post by NimbleNeil
This is fantastic news.
I study Geology and will be doing a geology degree so this sounds right up my street:h:

Are batholiths associated with plate boundaries as I can't seem to find a definitive answer
Reply 39
Original post by Thefamouscfc
Are batholiths associated with plate boundaries as I can't seem to find a definitive answer

Mostly associated with collisional boundaries, as upon collision the crust thickens downwards as well leading to mantle heating of the lower crust. This magma is too viscous to be extruded and so accumulates to form a batholith (some agrue it's only a batholith once 100km in diameter for this reason).

Sometimes it could just be a string of other plutons in a similar location leading to overall upwelling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending