The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lauraaa898
It's the easiest way to do it imo. Don't get why other colleges are confusing it so much!

We're doing it like that too, i think some colleges are focussing on the term 'location' which was in the pre release so they are researching single locations with lots of different landscapes in I.e West USA. However, that is hard because it doesn't give much leeway because you can't adapt it to many questions.
Has anyone got a list of predicted essay titles? I'm trying to come up with a few but I get thinking of the same kind of ideas.
Original post by becketts
Has anyone got a list of predicted essay titles? I'm trying to come up with a few but I get thinking of the same kind of ideas.

Examine what factors determine the distinctive nature of the landscape in areas that experience volcanic and seismic processes.

Discuss why landscapes in tectonically active areas are distinctive

To what extent are volcanic processes more important than seismic processes in forming distinctive landscapes in tectonically active areas

To what extent does the plate boundary type determine the range and scale of features in tectonically active areas.
Original post by meganmeganmegan
Examine what factors determine the distinctive nature of the landscape in areas that experience volcanic and seismic processes.

To what extent are volcanic processes more important than seismic processes in forming distinctive landscapes in tectonically active areas

To what extent does the plate boundary type determine the range and scale of features in tectonically active areas.

Thank you - that's really useful! X

Arghh I didn't think anything like this would come up due to the steer we got! Those all seem so narrow. How could you get 70 marks for them?
Arghh I didn't think anything like this would come up due to the steer we got! Those all seem so narrow. How could you get 70 marks for them?

Well if you think of the report as sections like intro, research, analysis, conclusion - the marks are easy to get, rather than a whole 70 marks which is a bit intimidating. We have learnt to structure it as either intrusive/extrusive/seismic compressional/tensional as 4 sections in analysis or plate boundaries as the sections but in both you can talk about all of the factors that affect the different landforms and analise which affects it more/less - if you do that you can easily easily write 12 sides. Even if they ask about plate boundaries they will ask 'to what extent' etc and then you discuss the other factors too.
Well if you think of the report as sections like intro, research, analysis, conclusion - the marks are easy to get, rather than a whole 70 marks which is a bit intimidating. We have learnt to structure it as either intrusive/extrusive/seismic compressional/tensional as 4 sections in analysis or plate boundaries as the sections but in both you can talk about all of the factors that affect the different landforms and analise which affects it more/less - if you do that you can easily easily write 12 sides. Even if they ask about plate boundaries they will ask 'to what extent' etc and then you discuss the other factors too.

If they ask about plate boundaries then could you still structure it as what we are going to do anyway as you can say what plate boundary they occur at ? If that makes any sense and as for factors as well as plate boundaries would that just be erosion and weathering? As its mainly plate tectonics that's the main factor to why these landscapes are formed?

By the structure I mean write about intrusive, extrusive features etc
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm using the East African Rift Valley to illustrate volcanic extrusive activity as due to the constructive (African and Arabian plate) boundary 5 active shield volcanoes can been along this Rift Valley also due the the heat source from magma fissures and a water source , geysers are also common place . So is this okay ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Geo report 111
I'm using the East African Rift Valley to ate volcanic extrusive activity as due to the constructive (African and Arabian plate) boundary 5 active shield volcanoes can been along this Rift Valley also due the the heat source from magma fissures and water source geysers are also common place . So thiss okay ?

Im using this one for rift valleys but I'm also mentioning about the volcanos due to the thinning of the crust. I think anything I right as long as it fits in with what you're discussing ☺️
If they ask about plate boundaries then could you still structure it as what we are going to do anyway as you can say what plate boundary they occur at ? If that makes any sense and as for factors as well as plate boundaries would that just be erosion and weathering? As its mainly plate tectonics that's the main factor to why these landscapes are formed?

By the structure I mean write about intrusive, extrusive features etc

Yeah basically!! You can answer most questions with the intrusive/extrusive/tensional/compressional structure :smile:
Yeah basically!! You can answer most questions with the intrusive/extrusive/tensional/compressional structure :smile:

So if it asks for factors let's say you could do example:
Composite cone- factor creating its shape is the silica content of the lava therefore it's vicious so builds up? And due to it being on a convergent margin this means great thickness of crust so increase silica content (>66%) ?
So if it asks for factors let's say you could do example:
Composite cone- factor creating its shape is the silica content of the lava therefore it's vicious so builds up? And due to it being on a convergent margin this means great thickness of crust so increase silica content (>66%) ?

Yeah or you could discuss intrusive landscapes for example and the main factors are weathering, lava type, rock type etc
Yeah or you could discuss intrusive landscapes for example and the main factors are weathering, lava type, rock type etc

What do you mean by rock type? Whether it has lots of joints and stuff?
Just checking, the Himalayas (as a case study for seismic activity- fold mountains), it is a seismic based landform, isn't it? I know it'snot directly related to earthquakes, but it is related to the movement of the tectonic plates.
Original post by rachel___
Just checking, the Himalayas (as a case study for seismic activity- fold mountains), it is a seismic based landform, isn't it? I know it'snot directly related to earthquakes, but it is related to the movement of the tectonic plates.

It's a fold mountain which is caused by seismic activity (stresses in a rock) ☺️

The continental-continental plates are moving towards each other which cause the rock to go upwards in simple terms haha
Reply 135
Does talking about volcanoes such as Mount merapi in Indonesia and Mauna Loa (part of the Hawaii Island) volcano count as landscapes as long as I talk about how it impacts the surrounding landscape through extrusive igneous activity etc ? Thanks for the reply in advance !!!
Original post by Zilein
Does talking about volcanoes such as Mount merapi in Indonesia and Mauna Loa (part of the Hawaii Island) volcano count as landscapes as long as I talk about how it impacts the surrounding landscape through extrusive igneous activity etc ? Thanks for the reply in advance !!!

Well Mauna Loa makes up the volcanic island chain so that's a landscape. Any volcano is a landscape as it impacts on a huge area if that makes sense?? I think it's that anyway
Reply 137
Well Mauna Loa makes up the volcanic island chain so that's a landscape. Any volcano is a landscape as it impacts on a huge area if that makes sense?? I think it's that anyway

Alright thanks i was just worried thinking I'm not answering the question properly. How many case studies/ landscapes are discussing for extrusive/intrusive/seismic
Original post by Zilein
Alright thanks i was just worried thinking I'm not answering the question properly. How many case studies/ landscapes are discussing for extrusive/intrusive/seismic

I've got a case study for each one apart from normal and reverse faults
What do you mean by rock type? Whether it has lots of joints and stuff?

Yeah bedding planes/joints
Or in a Rift Valley scenario, is it stretchy
Or brittle etc. I don't think you need to give examples of a type of rock that has those features, just awareness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending