Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

pizza express job question

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi not sure if this is the right forum but ... I've been working as a kitchen porter/cleaner in pizza express for about 3 months as a "trainee", 2 or 3 shifts a week - does anyone know from their experience when I can expect to stop being a trainee and get paid a higher rate? I'm nervous about pushing my managers about it but I've been working well and on my own virtually since I started.

Have you looked at your contract? Typically internships can last anywhere from 12 weeks through to 1 year. If there isn't anything written down then I would suggest that you speak to your manager.

Don't jump straight in and ask for a pay rise as this will instantly get their back up. Ask to speak to them regarding your performance. Personally I would follow this format:

1. Set the scene. Tell them why you wanted to speak to them. Say you're really enjoying the expericne and felt that you've learnt a lot and are keen to expand your scope and responsibility. You want to use today's session to understand how you go about doing this.
    2. Ask open ended questions such as "How has my performance been", "Any strengths you think I have" "Any areas I could look to develop".
    3. Ask for nest steps. Especially timelines. It's here (if everything is going well) you can ask about the promotion track. DO NOT talk about more money. Talk about increasing responsibility

Good luck

When I worked as a waitress at Pizza Express I stayed on the same rate even when I finished my training. I don't think it goes up...

You could ask other team mates what the 'normal thing' is as they should know approximately when they/others have gone up, if your manager is nice and friendly then you could ask them when it is normal to stop being a 'trainee'

normal probation/trainee periods can vary a lot so it's impossible to tell without asking someone
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.