Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paying utilities over summer?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I live in a private rented house with another student couple (who are together), my housemate has all the electricity and gas bills in her name and I pay £50 a month towards both.
    However, I'm a little confused as to if I should pay for utilities over summer when I'm not living in the house for five months when my other housemates will be.
    I understand that it'll be harder on them if I refuse to pay for utilities but I keep thinking why should I pay for something I'm not using? What should I do?
    I also have to pay full rent on the house AND rent to my mother over the summer with no guarantee that I'll get a job and with the hours I desperately need.
    It's a tricky one that I can see both sides of

You should pay an amount for your proportion of the standing charge, but not the rest for utilities not used. Just work out a compromise with them.
    the reason you pay the standing charge bit is because yoy are obligated for that till the contract ends.

Some bills such as water (usually) and internet are flat rate and will remain the same regardless of whether your are there using them. So you should continue paying them. It's not your housemates fault you won't be there abd they shouldn't have to pick up your slack

As for gas and electric negotiate with your housemate the possibility of reducing the amount you give if cost will go down with you not being there.

You should have a conversation with them about it asap so you know where you stand. As others have said there will be some things which are flat rate (including things like internet, TV license as well) which you probably should still contribute to, and others where you shouldn't necessarily contribute. The bills should be a little lower over summer when you don't use heating so that should ease the burden on them a little bit. If you have a conversation you should decide beforehand what you might be prepared to agree to pay should they ask you to contribute, finding a compromise might be worth it to have a happy household, but you need to decide where the limit is for you!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.