The Student Room Group

SL Maths in IB and Further Maths at A levels..

How difficult would it be to do an A level in Further Maths while doing Sl Maths at IB?
Reply 1
Original post by natalia.medicine
How difficult would it be to do an A level in Further Maths while doing Sl Maths at IB?

You wouldn't be able to. You'd need to do A-Level Maths as well.

As Zacken said you'd have to take 6 exams for maths as well as the 6 exams for further maths. You can't be awarded FM unless you already have or a simultaneously taking maths. You would have covered most of the standard maths content in IB but you would still need time to do some past paper exam prep to be familiar with the questions and you'd have find time in the exam periods to fit in 12 exams. Depending on what year you are in and whether you could break those exams up into different sessions would affect how hard it would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken

Doesn't the IB offer HL Further Mathematics anymore?
Reply 4
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Doesn't the IB offer HL Further Mathematics anymore?

Meh, it's very unpopular. The IB Maths system is a bit of a wreck, to be honest.
Original post by Zacken

Oh, I see. Thanks for the reply!
Original post by gdunne42
As Zacken said you'd have to take 6 exams for maths as well as the 6 exams for further maths. You can't be awarded FM unless you already have or a simultaneously taking maths. You would have covered most of the standard maths content in IB but you would still need time to do some past paper exam prep to be familiar with the questions and you'd have find time in the exam periods to fit in 12 exams. Depending on what year you are in and whether you could break those exams up into different sessions would affect how hard it would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am really not familiar with the A-level system and now I get it. Thanks for all the details!
The reason I asked this question on the first place is that I really want to do medicine and in my school they kept telling me that I didn't need Higher Level Maths to get into uni -which is true for some universities actually. However, I found out that my chances of acceptance would increase with having some better qualification for Maths. I am thinking of doing an A-level in Maths now. Yet I don't know if I can do AS since I am in Year 12 now and it's to late to prepare for it now I guess. I am not really sure what to do though and if it is worth it. Would an A level in Maths count similarly to HL Maths for IB?
Reply 8
The reason I asked this question on the first place is that I really want to do medicine and in my school they kept telling me that I didn't need Higher Level Maths to get into uni -which is true for some universities actually. However, I found out that my chances of acceptance would increase with having some better qualification for Maths. I am thinking of doing an A-level in Maths now. Yet I don't know if I can do AS since I am in Year 12 now and it's to late to prepare for it now I guess. I am not really sure what to do though and if it is worth it. Would an A level in Maths count similarly to HL Maths for IB?

I'd focus on doing well in SL Maths. That's perfectly respectable and a bunch of medics get by fine with it.
Reply 9

You don't need any maths to be a medic! SL Mathematics will be enough, but an HL wouldn't be bad if you're interested in the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest