The Student Room Group

Tattoo advice

Poll

You have a tattoo of a sandglass with wings. Is quote 1 or 2 better underneath?

Hi,

I have a non-native English speaking friend who wants to get a tattoo with an English phrase on it, and he's asked me for advice in translation. Since it's quite important to get it right, I thought I'd ask here to get more than just my opinion.

He wants a sandglass with wings and then underneath he wants one of the following quotes:

1. Time won't wait, don't waste it

or

2. Not enough to waste any

So I would say that 1. definitely sounds better, but being a more "standard" quote he's not a fan. He prefers 2. since he wrote it himself, but I say it doesn't sound very good. On the other hand, 2. is nicer in the sense that it's not super immediately obvious what's meant, and you have to take a moment to realise he means the time represented in the glass. Or are both options bad and he should look for a better quote?

Any opinions on what sounds better would be very much appreciated!

Thanks very much!

P.S. To 2, I suggested adding a "There's" to the front or possibly changing "any" to "it".

P.S.S. - The question of whether or not anyone should get a tattoo is a different question and I'm looking for answers based already on the premise that a tattoo will be done. I'm to give advice on the language and aesthetics of the quote, not on what I think of tattoos in general. In short, I'm not interested in general tattoo opinions but rather in this specific case as a particular tattoo, but thanks for taking the time to read.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't get such as meaningless and tacky tattoo personally, but each to their own.
Tempus fugit, carpe diem.

The phrases sound rather awkward in English. Does he even need the text? The meaning would be obvious from the picture.
Original post by hopinmad
Hi,

I have a non-native English speaking friend who wants to get a tattoo with an English phrase on it, and he's asked me for advice in translation. Since it's quite important to get it right, I thought I'd ask here to get more than just my opinion.

He wants a sandglass with wings and then underneath he wants one of the following quotes:

1. Time won't wait, don't waste it

or

2. Not enough to waste any

So I would say that 1. definitely sounds better, but being a more "standard" quote he's not a fan. He prefers 2. since he wrote it himself, but I say it doesn't sound very good. On the other hand, 2. is nicer in the sense that it's not super immediately obvious what's meant, and you have to take a moment to realise he means the time represented in the glass. Or are both options bad and he should look for a better quote?

Any opinions on what sounds better would be very much appreciated!

Thanks very much!

P.S. To 2, I suggested adding a "There's" to the front or possibly changing "any" to "it".

P.S.S. - The question of whether or not anyone should get a tattoo is a different question and I'm looking for answers based already on the premise that a tattoo will be done. I'm to give advice on the language and aesthetics of the quote, not on what I think of tattoos in general. In short, I'm not interested in general tattoo opinions but rather in this specific case as a particular tattoo, but thanks for taking the time to read.

Could go more metaphorical and talk about the sand falling or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending