The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lambert87
Hi all,

Basically I recently split with my long term partner and all our friends were mutual (but their friends first so not really mine anymore).. I don't have any family either.

I'd like to get away in the sun for a week or so, is it sad to go alone? What type of holiday would be the best for someone alone?

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all! It sounds like a good time to get away and just spend some time with yourself, I'm hoping to go to Croatia backpacking soon and I will probably do that alone... it means you always get to do what/eat where you want :tongue:
Hi all,

Basically I recently split with my long term partner and all our friends were mutual (but their friends first so not really mine anymore).. I don't have any family either.

I'd like to get away in the sun for a week or so, is it sad to go alone? What type of holiday would be the best for someone alone?

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not dw that way you can spend more money on yourself rather than others XD rofl
And you can have privacy to do whatever you fancy and not get judged :smile:
Reply 3
Hi all,

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile

my friend travels alone a lot tbh
Reply 4
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
It's not dw that way you can spend more money on yourself rather than others XD rofl

more money to drink too haha
I just got back from Denmark and Sweden and I went alone. Previously I've been to Dubai alone twice.

No arguing between friends and you get to meet a lot of people! Go for it! :h:
I've travelled alone to newyork and Switzerland and Germany multiple times,don't worry about it. Just enjoy yourself and be careful
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shawtyb
more money to drink too haha

LOL heck yea although I don't drink ;-;
rofl
Reply 8
I don't think it's sad to go on holiday on your own. Well, it depends what you're doing I suppose. People might judge you for going to somewhere like Ibiza on your own. I'd recommend doing a city break in a few European countries which loads of people do on their own.

I suppose you can be more flexible If it's just you with the dates you want to go, the things you want to do there, where to go to eat and ultimately you can go everywhere that you want to go.

If you want a sun holiday on your own I'd probably not go all inclusive as you'll probably spend more time out of the hotel and it (probably) will not be worth paying for as you may be drinking a lot less than if you were with a group of people. So I'd say self-catered in somewhere like Tenerife, Spain or Turkey. But if you have money I'd go somewhere way more exotic like Costa Rica or Thailand!
Not sad and pathetic just kinda lonely no?
It's not sad at all. I often do stuff on my own if I want to relax or explore a new experience. It's nice doing things in your own time at your own pace with nobody to answer to. I'd love to holiday alone. I'd get up as late as I wanted, spend ages in the pool and chill the eff out.

Enjoy your holiday OP :smile:
I've been considering the same and wouldn't mind travelling alone to do some sight seeing etc, although I think I'd be too scared because if something were to happen I'd be stuck by myself😕😞
No, I'd love to go on holiday on my own. Think about it this way. There's no one to pester you, you can take your time, you have loads of time to clear your head.

I think i'll be taking one next year.
Reply 13
Original post by MrDonaldTRUMP
If you're black or a dirty muslim- please don't come to America. Thank You

What is wrong with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all, I used to go on riding holidays in Ireland by myself. I also go on short breaks in the UK myself too (for example to Dorset). I intend/ed to go to Canada and USA riding too.

Nothing sad at all, you don't have to put up with whatever other people want to do.
Learning to do certain things alone is a major life skill.

So go - and enjoy it: and learn how to go to a restaurant by yourself too. Just chat to the staff, ask about the menu, be as polite and engaging as possible and take a book if the view's not all that great.

And why not take a notebook and write a journal[ now is a good time for you to look at your thoughts.

S.
@Lambert87
Travelling with friends, obviously has its perks, but solo travelling, in my mind, is far superior.
By yourself, you have the freedom to do and see whatever you want. You can lounge about in bed, or wake up at the crack of dawn, you don't have to worry about other people's preferences because it's just you.
Solo travel also let's you understand yourself better in a foreign environment, you appreciate yourself and your surroundings more.
Certainly when I am old enough/ have enough money, I would love to solo travel!
Reply 17
Original post by Queen Cersei
Not at all! It sounds like a good time to get away and just spend some time with yourself, I'm hoping to go to Croatia backpacking soon and I will probably do that alone... it means you always get to do what/eat where you want :tongue:

Original post by RoadtoSuccess

Original post by shawtyb
my friend travels alone a lot tbh

Original post by Roving Fish
I just got back from Denmark and Sweden and I went alone. Previously I've been to Dubai alone twice.

No arguing between friends and you get to meet a lot of people! Go for it! :h:

Original post by queen-bee
I've travelled alone to newyork and Switzerland and Germany multiple times,don't worry about it. Just enjoy yourself and be careful

Original post by ReeceM1
I don't think it's sad to go on holiday on your own. Well, it depends what you're doing I suppose. People might judge you for going to somewhere like Ibiza on your own. I'd recommend doing a city break in a few European countries which loads of people do on their own.

I suppose you can be more flexible If it's just you with the dates you want to go, the things you want to do there, where to go to eat and ultimately you can go everywhere that you want to go.

If you want a sun holiday on your own I'd probably not go all inclusive as you'll probably spend more time out of the hotel and it (probably) will not be worth paying for as you may be drinking a lot less than if you were with a group of people. So I'd say self-catered in somewhere like Tenerife, Spain or Turkey. But if you have money I'd go somewhere way more exotic like Costa Rica or Thailand!

Original post by beautifulbigmacs
It's not sad at all. I often do stuff on my own if I want to relax or explore a new experience. It's nice doing things in your own time at your own pace with nobody to answer to. I'd love to holiday alone. I'd get up as late as I wanted, spend ages in the pool and chill the eff out.

Enjoy your holiday OP :smile:

Original post by Freya4415
I've been considering the same and wouldn't mind travelling alone to do some sight seeing etc, although I think I'd be too scared because if something were to happen I'd be stuck by myself😕😞

Original post by Elise213
No, I'd love to go on holiday on my own. Think about it this way. There's no one to pester you, you can take your time, you have loads of time to clear your head.

I think i'll be taking one next year.

Original post by Inazuma
Not at all, I used to go on riding holidays in Ireland by myself. I also go on short breaks in the UK myself too (for example to Dorset). I intend/ed to go to Canada and USA riding too.

Nothing sad at all, you don't have to put up with whatever other people want to do.

Original post by Stychomythia
Learning to do certain things alone is a major life skill.

So go - and enjoy it: and learn how to go to a restaurant by yourself too. Just chat to the staff, ask about the menu, be as polite and engaging as possible and take a book if the view's not all that great.

And why not take a notebook and write a journal[ now is a good time for you to look at your thoughts.

S.

Original post by homeland.lsw
@Lambert87
Travelling with friends, obviously has its perks, but solo travelling, in my mind, is far superior.
By yourself, you have the freedom to do and see whatever you want. You can lounge about in bed, or wake up at the crack of dawn, you don't have to worry about other people's preferences because it's just you.
Solo travel also let's you understand yourself better in a foreign environment, you appreciate yourself and your surroundings more.
Certainly when I am old enough/ have enough money, I would love to solo travel!

Thank you everyone... much appreciated :smile:
Reply 18
Thank you everyone... much appreciated :smile:

I've got a book I'd recommend you read called 'High Heels and a head torch, the essential guide for girls who backpack' By Chelsea Duke.
Yes, I know it's by a girl for girls in the title, (so yes, their are girly bits in it!) but I think theirs lots in there for anyone traveling, like what stuff to pack, how to go it alone and deal with meeting new people all the time, sleeping and sharing things with strangers, keeping yourself well, and safety stuff. So all really useful for someone traveling alone to think about.

I've not done any traveling alone, so got nothing to say to you about it-I just read this because I saw it in a library and was interested, so interested I bought a copy.

Hope it helps, enjoy your holiday :smile:
Reply 19
Travelling alone is one of the best things I've ever done.

Latest