The Student Room Group

Calculator help!!

Hi I have the casio fx-85gt plus and was just doing a calculation to work out tension. The answer should have been 400√3 but my calculator gave the answer in decimal form. How can I get it into surds (the s=d button doesnt work)? Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by natalie987
Hi I have the casio fx-85gt plus and was just doing a calculation to work out tension. The answer should have been 400√3 but my calculator gave the answer in decimal form. How can I get it into surds (the s=d button doesnt work)? Thank you!!

I'm not entirely sure but you might want to check if your calculator is on the right set up.
Hit [shift] mode/setup , 1, 1 and try again this should set your calculator to output exact results, you can then use the S<=>D to convert to decimal.
Original post by natalie987

Your calculator won't recognise multiples of 3\sqrt3 greater than 99399\sqrt3. If you were expecting the answer to be a multiple of 3\sqrt 3 then you just need to divide by that number to obtain 400.

There is usually no problem with providing your answers as decimals to 3 s.f. in A level mechanics exams.

Quick Reply

Latest