The Student Room Group

Keele or Aberystwyth

Hello! I am currently applying for a Physics foundation year at both Keele University and Aberystwyth University.

I've visited both and I feel very torn between the two as they are so similar.

Pros:
-Both are fairly isolated (which I like)
-I have an unconditional offer at Aberystwyth, but the entry requirements for Keele aren't hard to get either
-Both have a very, you know, "right" atmosphere with lots of friendly people
-Lots of societies
-Both of them seem really cheap to live in

Cons:
They're both far away (from Suffolk)
Aberystwyth - 7 hours drive
Keele- 4 hours drive

Aberystwyth:
-The physics couse includes stuff to do with the Mars Rover! With unique partnerships with universities from America to China

Keele:
- 1st Student Satisfaction 2015
-The student union looks a lot cooler (quite superficial I know)

If anyone can help at all, I'd be truly grateful!

Thanks a lot, F x
Aberystwyth is in a nicer place. Keele's local scene is a bit... I dunno, run-down.

Also, it's better for your course I think and you will get more out of it judging by the A v.s. K comments you made!
Hi FleuryetteMy name is Adam, I’m a second year Keele Law student and I also work for the Digital Marketing and Communications team as a Digital Ambassador. I’m going to try help you with your decision making process by drawing upon my own experiences that may provide some insight into why you should choose Keele.

I love Keele for several reasons, some of which you’ve already mentioned.

I love the fact that Keele is ‘fairly isolated’. With over 600 acres of countryside, consisting of lakes, woodlands, so much greenery and the iconic Keele Hall, it’s impossible not to be mesmerised by the sheer beauty of the campus. Within 5 minutes you can go from sitting in the library or the lecture halls, to exploring Keele Woods. With many universities almost amounting to ‘concrete jungles’, Keele takes pride in the fact that it is unique in this aspect. When looking around Keele for the first time, this is what instantly sold me and ultimately led to me putting Keele down as my first choice.

I also adore the ‘right atmosphere’ which exists here at Keele. With a student population just over 10,000 (relatively small in comparison to other universities), not only is there such a strong student community prevalent at Keele, but being accepted into Keele almost feels like a privilege. Out of all those that applied to Keele, you were chosen to be apart of this community - to be a ‘Keelite’. Evident in the wide range of societies and sports; in the hugely active Student Union driven to ensure that students gain the best possible experience possible; and also from the strong individual support, both academic and personal, that each Keele student will receive the moment they arrive on campus. It is this support which I think would benefit you, especially due to your concerns of being so far away from home. I’m from Kent and Keele is also 4 hours away from me, and honestly, the furthest north I’ve been in the UK. Yet, with the vast support that I received, the time it took from leaving home to Keele becoming my home, was incredibly short. Keele makes you feel more than just a student, it makes you feel like a valued member of their community. Perhaps this is why we were rated 1st for Student Satisfaction for both 2014 and 2015. Nonetheless, you rarely get an opportunity to experience something like you do at Keele.

It is also worth mentioning that Keele does offer a fantastic study abroad programme, through which you have the opportunity to study at universities across the globe - everything from America to Japan. Moreover, 97% of our Keele research was classified as world leading, or of national importance (Research Excellence Framework 2014). In this research our academic staff develop new ideas and publish new research findings, which they then bring to their undergraduate teaching and use to inform course design and module content. It is this clear academic strength which actually places Keele higher than Aberystwyth on numerous league tables for Physics.

I hope this helps your decision making process and I wish you luck in all your upcoming exams. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask :smile:
Could ABB or BBB get me in for law (start 2017)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fleuryette
Hello! I am currently applying for a Physics foundation year at both Keele University and Aberystwyth University.

I've visited both and I feel very torn between the two as they are so similar.

Pros:
-Both are fairly isolated (which I like)
-I have an unconditional offer at Aberystwyth, but the entry requirements for Keele aren't hard to get either
-Both have a very, you know, "right" atmosphere with lots of friendly people
-Lots of societies
-Both of them seem really cheap to live in

Cons:
They're both far away (from Suffolk)
Aberystwyth - 7 hours drive
Keele- 4 hours drive

Aberystwyth:
-The physics couse includes stuff to do with the Mars Rover! With unique partnerships with universities from America to China

Keele:
- 1st Student Satisfaction 2015
-The student union looks a lot cooler (quite superficial I know)

If anyone can help at all, I'd be truly grateful!

Thanks a lot, F x

I am in a very similar situation to you! I applied for a foundation year in Computer Science at both universities the only difference in my offers is that Keele has decided to give me a chance to skip the foundation year provided I get the grades I need (which isnt hard) I just didnt feel like I picked the correct subjects at sixth form to immediately go onto a degree for Computer Science.

I feel that aberystwyth is a excellent university however one of the most important factors in getting a job I feel is being able to get experience via things like internships and with Keele being closer to places like Birmingham and Manchester, Keele may be the better choice.

Quick Reply

Latest