The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love how it's acceptable to Oxbridge bash to your heart's content (not necessarily in this instance but definitely in other instances on the forum) but once PBL gets insulted, everyone's up in arms at the injustice.
Reply 21
becca2389
I love how it's acceptable to Oxbridge bash to your heart's content (not necessarily in this instance but definitely in other instances on the forum) but once PBL gets insulted, everyone's up in arms at the injustice.
when did i say it was acceptable to Oxbridge bash? I thought that point had already been established and didn't realise I was morally bound to repeat it.
Reply 22
Saffie
when did i say it was acceptable to Oxbridge bash? I thought that point had already been established and didn't realise I was morally bound to repeat it.

To be fair, she wasn't quoting you, merely making a statement about the thread in general.

And randdom - sorry, I haven't been around here enough recently and didn't realise this wasn't the first time.

As for me, some PBL might have kept my arse in gear a little more over the last few years, but that aside I'm glad I chose the Cambridge course, as I love the place and have generally found some areas of interest in each of the subjects I've done (with the possible exception of neuroscience :wink:) which has kept me going. Plus the supervision system means you can't really just sleep through lectures the whole time.
Sorry. I wasn't getting at you. It was just a general statement.
Reply 24
becca2389
Sorry. I wasn't getting at you. It was just a general statement.
It seemed very much in response to my PBL rant, quotations or not.

Sorry this is exam week for me and i feel like ranting :biggrin:
It really wasn't. I was going to post it before I had even read down to your post. In fact it really didn't carry on from your post at all. You made a perfectly decent case for why you liked PBL and found it a good method of learning and understanding.

My point is...I don't think tyrosine_kinase is right for insulting PBL with little evidence to back up his opinions, but it's no different to the unfounded Oxbridge bashing that goes on here. Yet somehow bashing Oxbridge is perfectly acceptable to them, whereas they don't like it one bit when someone insults their PBL.
Reply 26
This is what I mean about things getting all emotional. I mean, I'm sure part of it is people not wanting to think that they were that damned stupid when they started out. We build up this image of ourselves but the reality is that we were all a complete wazzock at one point.
Reply 27
Helenia
To be fair, she wasn't quoting you, merely making a statement about the thread in general.

And randdom - sorry, I haven't been around here enough recently and didn't realise this wasn't the first time.

As for me, some PBL might have kept my arse in gear a little more over the last few years, but that aside I'm glad I chose the Cambridge course, as I love the place and have generally found some areas of interest in each of the subjects I've done (with the possible exception of neuroscience :wink:) which has kept me going. Plus the supervision system means you can't really just sleep through lectures the whole time.

:eek: you didn't like neuroscience! I loved it the systems module that it fell under was by far my fave. I was considering doing my intercalated degree in it until i decided that Psychology would be more interesting for me :biggrin:
Reply 28
randdom
:eek: you didn't like neuroscience! I loved it the systems module that it fell under was by far my fave. I was considering doing my intercalated degree in it until i decided that Psychology would be more interesting for me :biggrin:

I hate and despise it. And my clinical supervisor is a neurologist :rolleyes:

Paeds neurology is quite fun, but then everything's more fun in Paeds.
Well it's not really that either are acceptable, it's just that the BL brigade here is strong and defend themselves.
Philosoraptor
Well it's not really that either are acceptable, it's just that the BL brigade here is strong and defend themselves.

well most is little to do with PBL and mroe to do with blind medical school patriotism.

i find it rather sad how zealous some people get about their med schools/uni.

perhaps i was like that bfore starting uni. who knows.
Reply 31
Jamie
well most is little to do with PBL and mroe to do with blind medical school patriotism.

i find it rather sad how zealous some people get about their med schools/uni.

perhaps i was like that bfore starting uni. who knows.

Ha, agreed.

My med school couldn't pay me to be patriotic towards them
Reply 32
I wouldn't say its blind patriotism; but there is a sense of being looked after and you having a duty to the school in return here. I like it, but if you don't then, erm, don't come here.
Reply 33
"looked after" hmm! after some of my OSCEs...

I think everyone at BL could list faults but i feel like i can't on TSR. If you met me IRL, I probably would! [i may well be pished as well, if you met me, but that's besides]

Latest