The Student Room Group

REAPPLYING for MEDICINE during Gap Year

heyy everyone
thought I'd join this as I need opinions and messages from anyone else who didn't get in first time round for medicine. I have all As at AS and A*s at GCSE's and work exp. too...
Just want to know ..has anyone done the same ? I'd like to know which Unis you applied for and what response you got from them? Also, any reapplicants applied to Oxford/ Cam?
xxx
Reply 1
I think quite a few people reapply again, especially if they have grades like yours at A-level. Head over to the Medicine subforum and you'll get more info there.

Definitely reapply, I know people who have and have easily got in.
Reply 2
Oxford and Cambridge say that they don't discriminate against reapplicants. So I'm sure some reapplicants do reapply to Oxford/Cambridge.
Reply 3
What degree are you deferring to do the gap?
If they do that they can't apply to Medicine.
Reply 5
But if they don't they can't be on a ****ing gap year.
Reply 6
ahahha, wow..talk about a speedy response! excuse the 'Student Room' virgin here!

RAHMED -- Thanks, I will. My heart's set on Medicine and nothing else :smile:

THREDSOX -- Yeah, I'm sure they don't, luckily.

thing is..i got pooled this year at Cambridge, but I was an international student. This time when i apply, I'll be a home student...So there's the whole issue about whether or not to submit an OA...and even whether my chances will be higher at Oxford because I have applied to Cam previously.I'm thinking some of the admissions tutors have seen my application and I'm not entirely certain whether it will work for/against my application this time round.

RENAL - I'm not deferring to do any degree. I finish my A levels this June and didn't get in this year. Going to reapply this Sept.

PHILOSORAPTOR - mm? slightly more precise pls?
Reply 7
He's reffering to me - you can't apply for anything in a gap year because you're already in contract (I think that's the term) with whatever uni you're going to.
Yeah ok Renal, but the phrase gap year is often used just to mean a year out or whatever. Incorrectly, but nonentheless used because it is a term shorter than "on a year out."
Reply 9
ah, I see what u meant.. :smile:
oh i hope i'll get some advice on where to apply/ what worked for other re-applicants!
Reply 10
I'd recommend applying to Cambridge as a reapplicant because they have twice the intake compared to Oxford. Also they have a 1 in 5 acceptance rate compared to 1 in 7 at Oxford. Also you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Cambridge. Best of luck!

Latest