The Student Room Group

So confused on medicine....

Hello,im a current y10 GCSE student,All my GCSE's are going v.well but i would like to study medicine at a top University(cambridge)...
Im extremey confused about extra-curriculars...
I currently do 3 instruments at grade 5+,I do Table tennis,Tennis,Volunteering at a care home(starting),Dofe(will do all three) and I'm trying to get work experience but i still feel like other future application,if i apply in the foreseeable future will be better than me.
Im receiving completely diff advice from diff people...
Ive been told to do more WE at more than on department(Like 3 departments) to further show my interest,I have been told to do shadowing of doctors,Etc...
I have also been thinking about medical blogging and doing courses at like MedLink...
Are these good suggestion,Im only in y10 so is what I'm currently do v.good? or...?And other suggestions?
Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Hello,im a current y10 GCSE student,All my GCSE's are going v.well but i would like to study medicine at a top University(cambridge)...

Firstly, there are no top universities for Medicine - all are extremely competitive and getting through any will allow you to become a doctor.

Im extremey confused about extra-curriculars...
I currently do 3 instruments at grade 5+,I do Table tennis,Tennis,Volunteering at a care home(starting),Dofe(will do all three) and I'm trying to get work experience but i still feel like other future application,if i apply in the foreseeable future will be better than me.

All this sounds very worthwhile to be doing. :smile:

Im receiving completely diff advice from diff people...
Ive been told to do more WE at more than on department(Like 3 departments) to further show my interest,I have been told to do shadowing of doctors,Etc...

You don't need to do work experience at more than three departments - it is very difficult to organise work experience in a hospital and Med Schools understand that. It's more about what you gain out of the work experience that's important rather than the amount you did. So when the time comes and you need to write your PS, it'd be far better to say what sorts of things you learn about working in a Medical environment than listing all the interesting procedures you see, for example.

I have also been thinking about medical blogging and doing courses at like MedLink...

From experience, courses are a complete waste of time and money so I wouldn't do them personally. The stuff the courses tell you can usually be found online for free anyway.

Are these good suggestion,Im only in y10 so is what I'm currently do v.good? or...?And other suggestions?
Thanks.

It sounds like you have a decent plan set up. It will probably be very hard to get any work experience in Year 10 but when the time comes, do try to get some. Have a look at the Medicine wiki also: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by usycool1
Firstly, there are no top universities for Medicine - all are extremely competitive and getting through any will allow you to become a doctor.

All this sounds very worthwhile to be doing. :smile:

You don't need to do work experience at more than three departments - it is very difficult to organise work experience in a hospital and Med Schools understand that. It's more about what you gain out of the work experience that's important rather than the amount you did. So when the time comes and you need to write your PS, it'd be far better to say what sorts of things you learn about working in a Medical environment than listing all the interesting procedures you see, for example.

From experience, courses are a complete waste of time and money so I wouldn't do them personally. The stuff the courses tell you can usually be found online for free anyway.

It sounds like you have a decent plan set up. It will probably be very hard to get any work experience in Year 10 but when the time comes, do try to get some. Have a look at the Medicine wiki also: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Thanks A Lot!
Great reply,very well structured...appreciated...
So courses...
Do they not show you passion for the subject as I have seen Cambridge interviews(proper one from Cambridge youtube channel) they normally ask what have you been doing in your subject and and many people say research over holidays related to that subject....do they mean courses or am I mistaken?
Also what A-level are essential for me to take for medicine at Cambridge ?
Thanks.
They could mean courses, but more likely it is extra reading or work experience/shadowing.
In terms of A levels, biology and chemistry definitely.
I'm not sure why you're so stuck on cambridge... many unis do medicine and all of them do it to an equal level since you cannot have some doctors who have better degrees than others.

Original post by VNN
Thanks A Lot!
Great reply,very well structured...appreciated...
So courses...
Do they not show you passion for the subject as I have seen Cambridge interviews(proper one from Cambridge youtube channel) they normally ask what have you been doing in your subject and and many people say research over holidays related to that subject....do they mean courses or am I mistaken?
Also what A-level are essential for me to take for medicine at Cambridge ?
Thanks.
Original post by Riverstar
They could mean courses, but more likely it is extra reading or work experience/shadowing.
In terms of A levels, biology and chemistry definitely.
I'm not sure why you're so stuck on cambridge... many unis do medicine and all of them do it to an equal level since you cannot have some doctors who have better degrees than others.

Ah ok thanks...
Would maths be useful for medicine and further maths or physics?
Also,I'm stuck up on Cambridge as it has one of the highest medical student satisfaction rate out of any uni in the world...
Thanks.
Reply 5
For your A-levels it depends on which college you would prefer to go to.
That said, you should focus on getting your GCSEs at this stage rather than what A-levels you should be taking...
Original post by VNN
Ah ok thanks...
Would maths be useful for medicine and further maths or physics?
Also,I'm stuck up on Cambridge as it has one of the highest medical student satisfaction rate out of any uni in the world...
Thanks.

What do cambridge suggest on their website? What have other medicine applications done for their a levels? Your school career advisor can help you there.
Just cause cambridge has the highest doesn't necessarily mean it's the best or that all others will be awful... You can apply for 4 unis for medicine anyway, so I would look further afield too.

Quick Reply

Latest