The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

itsme!!
Ok i know its a bit random,but do you think chewing gum would help you concentrate during an exam?or would it have any negative effects?

I think thats just stupid.
Reply 2
I get distracted easily. If I chew gum I would concentrate more on the gum then the paper.
Reply 3
i tried it in all my exams. It didnt have any effect on me. I had a 3 hour exam and i thought it could keep me active, but after my first maths exam there i was getting tired and lazy!!!
Reply 4
Don't know about chewing gum as it loses its taste after 5 mins and becomes annoying but i usually take sweets into the exam with me, i like it because im a sugar addict and it gives me more focus lol!
Legend Killer
I think thats just stupid.

:dito:
i once read it somewhere that chewing gum contains a small amount of caffeine and that this can help during exams give you a kind of edge. but its probably bull.
Reply 7
I say start cracking open the good ole glucose tablets! :p:
I don't see how it would make any difference whatsoever really.
Reply 9
I do it just think it calms me from being nervous doubt it actually has anything in it, i once blew the biggest bubble without realising in when it popped it made the loudest noise never been so embarassed not done it since lol
hs_honey
Don't know about chewing gum as it loses its taste after 5 mins and becomes annoying

Yeah, I agree with you! I would be wanting to spit it out in the middle of the exam.
Livefortonight
Yeah, I agree with you! I would be wanting to spit it out in the middle of the exam.

Thats why you stick it under the table!!! lol!!!
Reply 12
I would chew gum, I did at GCSE but it bugged me when the taste went so I got distracted lol
Reply 13
my biggest tip - drink water!! but not too much

appparently it keeps your brain active, and helps whilst revising!
(also fish oil tablets make yuo concentrate more) :biggrin:
Reply 14
It may help, but it may not. Everyone’s different and different things work for different people. I’d never touch gum, while I find Tic-Tacs are pretty good at helping me concentrate – also having a bottle of water.
Reply 15
chewing gums really helps me, chewing gum and water, perfect for revision and exams, it helps me concentrate and helps me think!
thewasp
chewing gums really helps me, chewing gum and water, perfect for revision and exams, it helps me concentrate and helps me think!

As long as you don't swallow the gum whilst taking a drink of water. :p:

I wonder if you get extra marks for choking in the middle of the exam.
Reply 17
schrodinger's cat

I wonder if you get extra marks for choking in the middle of the exam.

lol, no idea, but apparently, if dire events happen to the pupil (i.e. the death of a very close relative the day before the exam or something) they could get a maximum 5% added on to their marks for a paper taken then.

:idea:
i didn't know you were allowed gum/tic tacs in the exams?
Reply 19
tami*
i didn't know you were allowed gum/tic tacs in the exams?

Tic-tacs I don't think so, because they're bound to disturb others with the irritating noise of them shaking around. I think gum, strictly speaking, isn't allowed either, but most people can chew discretely so it's hardly noticeable anyway.

Latest