Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Article: Five revision myths demolished

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I wrote myself a timetable for about a month from then till my exam and only followed it for the first week though I did study without it

Actually, fyi highlighters DO work some visual learners example me

(Original post by elen90)
    Timetable's often don't work for me because I set myself unrealistic targets (yeah, sure, I'm going to do three hours' revision the moment I get home from school). That can often leaving you feel demotivated when you don't stick within the timetable, not only because it's easy to underestimate how long it will take you to do something.

I expected a spider diagram to take me one hour yesterday. It took three.

I find that simple to-do lists work better. Ones that don't have time constraints - just stuff you know needs to get done, whether you complete it all within three hours or ten. Other people may feel differently, but it isn't even the end of the world if something doesn't get checked off. Just move it to the next day. This is why it's best to do the longwinded objectives first. Isn't a huge drag on your next day's revision just to complete that sheet of questions the teacher set.

People often forget that it isn't the amount of time you spend revising that matters, but what you actually learn. And timetables are a great way for notorious procrastinators like me to waste time.
    100% agree with you

(Original post by Devilsadvocate2)
    'I know this one girl who did no revision at all… she got an A*'

Not being arrogant, but I am this person. I did zero revision for all of my GCSES except two (music and geography) and ended up getting 7 A*'s and 6 A's.

I did do revision for my A-levels and I am definitely doing revision for my degree- I'm also not against revising for exams
    these people do exist and it's just plain wrong to say they don't.
    I don't think you understand the post properly.
    What it was saying, is that no body can do ZERO revision(this includes, doing past paper, just skimming a book, or trying to remember key facts) and still get an A*.

(Original post by gcse week)
    I wrote myself a timetable for about a month from then till my exam and only followed it for the first week though I did study without it
    I always make them and they never work :hide: better to play things by ear, set rough goals (eg I will finish this unit by the end of this month) and spend reasonable time doing them, take regular breaks etc.

So the best way to learn is to do all your work and notes from the START of the year! No messing around and actually willing to spend your free time doing the best you can to actually smile at the end of the year on results day instead of crying! TRUST ME! I went from a CCD to ABB, with only two retakes, so yes you can do anything!
    I can't stress thing enough, but at the end of the day its a year or two out of your life and you will 100% regret it if you know you could have worked harder but you didn't really push yourself!
    Also, if your school don't give 'study leave' like mine , then do whatever you feel is right. I didn't bother going to lessons some days as my teacher in psychology was atrocious, got letters sent home, senior teacher shouting in my face (with pressure of exams mind) and guess what? I GOT AN A*.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful revision links

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.