Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

A day in the life of an IBM apprentice

Forum navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hey Everyone, Being new to TSR I thought I would use this opportunity to discuss what I really do on the day – to – day basis. So here’s what I got up to yesterday:
    I started the day off by continuing work on a client server in our lab, initializing and configuring some new storage drives. The client in this instance was the Dutch Tax office.
    Following this I had an 11oClock patent meeting with senior inventor Kevin Brown and Master Inventor Graham White, in this meeting we discussed a patent idea we are currently working on. Meeting with people like this is great as they’re on the forefront of new technology; meaning not only are they great mentors but also very interesting.
    After lunch I had some time to shadow one of the media team in my office as she was teaching others the basics of Adobe CS6. Being able to be flexible in what I do like this is a great way of learning new skills and I often have the opportunity to do this in my current role.
    Towards the end of the day I had a meeting with some of the other apprentices who work with me at Hursley. Again the flexibility IBM offers is outstanding, and being able to take time just to meet with friends during work hours and discuss ideas with other apprentices is extremely useful in progressing as an apprentice.
    I find that working for IBM offers a great mix of both professional development and pastoral care, which ensure that I not only learn and develop skills but also put them to good use with in the business An IBM apprenticeship is a great opportunity for anyone looking to take their first steps in the technology or business world; If anyone is interested or wants to ask any questions I’ll be happy to answer them.

this seems very interesting!

Hey man, do IBM consider people over the age of 20, I'm gonna be 21 soon to be 22. Just that I went through a hard time with family issues before and been working as a team leader in KFC for the past year and a half.

How much of IBM is now offshored? My previous company used IBM, and it seemed only the sales representative was UK based, all other operations/technicians were off-shored to either India or Philippines?

I appreciate your a global company, but it didn't feel like much invention/innovation actually happens in the UK, and rather the UK was just a sales and service point for IBM?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.