Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medical Indemnity Insurance

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Hi Everyone

I am in my 1st year of Medical School and i went to a conference recently (Just to check out the scene). I got chatting to a surgeon and he said that i will need medical indemnity for NHS work which i understand. I know why you need it and what it is. But i am a little nieve on all of this so please don't judge. Can someone tell me what the process is for students and then F1 F2 CT1 CT2. Were people approached at university by big companies? What is the Cost? Who should i go too? Do i need it while i am on placement?

Thank You All

The MDU and MPS are the biggest two, plus the MDDUS in Scotland (you can also be a member if you work elsewhere but they don't have so much of a presence). Both of the former will usually turn up at your medical school at some point and encourage you to sign up. I'm not sure if you NEED it for placements as you should be covered by the university. Student membership is free, then for F1 it's usually £10-20 for the year. It then increases with your seniority/level of responsibility, and varies with specialty later on. I paid about £180 for the last year as an ST4 in anaesthetics, but a fully qualified GP would be paying several thousand.

You shouldn't need any insurance while you are a student as your medical school will have bought insurance on your behalf. If you go on an elective outside the UK, you can buy a short-term policy (or just join the MDU/MPS, which is usually a negligible cost while you are a student) in case you inadvertently get yourself into trouble overseas.

When you work as a doctor in the NHS, you are protected by NHS indemnity, i.e. the NHS will defend you and pay compensation if you were negligent and are sued successfully. However, few doctors feel that this provides adequate protection and most will take out a separate policy with a medical defence organisation, such as the MDU or MPS. They also provide various additional benefits such as independent 24/7 legal/ethical telephone advice, protection if you are working somewhere as a locum, and defence if you end up in front of a GMC fitness to practice panel.

As Helenia said, this is usually quite cheap in FY1/FY2 but then becomes a little more expensive. Consultants can pay a lot, particularly if they undertake private work, which is obviously not covered by NHS indemnity. An NHS spinal consultant I know is quitting his (very modest) private practice because his annual indemnity costs exceeded £40,000/year.

I'm surprised that the MDU and MPS weren't lining up on your first day of medical school to foist pens and USB sticks on you...
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.