The Student Room Group

NCS Summer 2016 Thread

With the first NCS programmes coming in about 2 months, and me finding more NCS related posts, I thought I'd make this kind of 'general' thread about the programme where you can talk about various aspects of it, such as the dates, where you're going from (and to when you get the information in advance) and Part 2 skills you've chosen (if the providers let you choose it, that is).

Doing it this year? Post here!
Did it before? Post here! Especially since we need to know the exact amount of random crap we need to pack so we don't bring a suitcase with the weight of 27 elephants.

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I signed up for it:h: (July 11 - Aug 2nd)
So scared but can't wait!
Hey!

I went on NCS last year during summer, in the East Midlands area. Depending on where you are in the country would depend on what type of activities you do. Generally the first week is the same across the country, a week at an activity centre (PGL) or camp site. The second week is heavily dependant on the provider but was personally my favourite week. Yours does sound different to mine, you mentioned choosing a a skill for part two, we didn't have that and that's not in my providers agenda for this year either.
For Packing, good luck. I was given a reccomended list but i didn't need most of it, so just take what you want. You should be given t-shirts which are optional for most of the time. You may also then get freebies like water bottles an sun glasses.

Have fun though! It was a great experience for me.

If you have any questions, feel ree to ask as i'm now a Recruitment Ambassador for NCS and have had a hand in organising this years programme for my region.
Reply 3
Original post by StevieC33
Hey!

I went on NCS last year during summer, in the East Midlands area. Depending on where you are in the country would depend on what type of activities you do. Generally the first week is the same across the country, a week at an activity centre (PGL) or camp site. The second week is heavily dependant on the provider but was personally my favourite week. Yours does sound different to mine, you mentioned choosing a a skill for part two, we didn't have that and that's not in my providers agenda for this year either.
For Packing, good luck. I was given a reccomended list but i didn't need most of it, so just take what you want. You should be given t-shirts which are optional for most of the time. You may also then get freebies like water bottles an sun glasses.

Have fun though! It was a great experience for me.

If you have any questions, feel ree to ask as i'm now a Recruitment Ambassador for NCS and have had a hand in organising this years programme for my region.

I'm pretty sure mine will be very different to yours, since I'm in London (Barnet, to be exact), so that could affect the location of Part 2 (I heard that there is a chance you may get put into tents for Part 2. If that happens to me, I will literally explode.)

And I think I did see a packing list for last year on my provider's (The Challenge) website, so that should give me a rough idea what to pack.

However, I'm still confused as to why some providers let Part 2 be chosen by the participants and others don't. Yet, I do know that they often try to round the numbers of teams so they're equal, resulting in some people not getting any of their 3 options (if they've chosen some, that is). Well, at least you'll get an open mind :tongue:
Original post by leafcannon
I'm pretty sure mine will be very different to yours, since I'm in London (Barnet, to be exact), so that could affect the location of Part 2 (I heard that there is a chance you may get put into tents for Part 2. If that happens to me, I will literally explode.)

And I think I did see a packing list for last year on my provider's (The Challenge) website, so that should give me a rough idea what to pack.

However, I'm still confused as to why some providers let Part 2 be chosen by the participants and others don't. Yet, I do know that they often try to round the numbers of teams so they're equal, resulting in some people not getting any of their 3 options (if they've chosen some, that is). Well, at least you'll get an open mind :tongue:

Ah yes, NCS The Challange. For Part two, this is usually done at a University or college of some sort as the purpose of this week to be able to learn new life skills, such as money management and first aid are an example of what If being put into this years for my area. Because of this, i couldn't see why people would be in tents, but it is The Challange so i have no idea what they do :biggrin:

What do you mean the provider lets you choose your part two? In what aspect, choose the content, choose groups, choose location etc?
Reply 5
Ah yes, NCS The Challange. For Part two, this is usually done at a University or college of some sort as the purpose of this week to be able to learn new life skills, such as money management and first aid are an example of what If being put into this years for my area. Because of this, i couldn't see why people would be in tents, but it is The Challange so i have no idea what they do :biggrin:

What do you mean the provider lets you choose your part two? In what aspect, choose the content, choose groups, choose location etc?

Part of the application is choosing the actual skills, like drama, sport, etc. For example, in order, I chose:

1 - Media
2 - Art (it was on the drop down menu, and the fact that I'm currently doing an Art GCSE might help me)
3 - Photography

That's it. You don't choose groups, locations, or anything of the sort. After that it's just filling out the remainder of the application.
Part of the application is choosing the actual skills, like drama, sport, etc. For example, in order, I chose:

1 - Media
2 - Art (it was on the drop down menu, and the fact that I'm currently doing an Art GCSE might help me)
3 - Photography

That's it. You don't choose groups, locations, or anything of the sort. After that it's just filling out the remainder of the application.

Ah right, yeah, I heard about The Challange doing something like that. Definately sounds a bit different. Nevertheless, I imagine it will be a great experience.
Reply 7
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
I signed up for it:h: (July 11 - Aug 2nd)
So scared but can't wait!

Mine's 31 July - 23 Aug.
Reply 8
Ah right, yeah, I heard about The Challange doing something like that. Definately sounds a bit different. Nevertheless, I imagine it will be a great experience.

Yeah, I was watching some NCS videos on YouTube and it definitely seems enjoyable.
Reply 9
I'll just put my current info regarding the programme here, for reference. I might update this when I receive more info in a few months:

Area: Barnet (borough), London
Dates: 31 July - 23 Aug
Options for Part 2 (in descending order): Media, Art, Photography
OMG I have the same dates as you and I' also from Barnet :h:
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
OMG I have the same dates as you and I' also from Barnet :h:

Holy crap! There's a chance I might see you there!

It'd be weird if we're in the same team.
(edited 7 years ago)
Holy crap! There's a chance I might see you there!

It'd be weird if we're in the same team.

hahaha at least we will know one person :tongue: I'm just freaked about the bus journey like who will I talk to or is everyone gonna sit in silence awkwardly -__- . btw smart idea for creating this thread. I've been watching vlogs about NCS and I don't know they give a lot of info but not the stuff that I wanna know if that makes sense??
Reply 13
hahaha at least we will know one person :tongue: I'm just freaked about the bus journey like who will I talk to or is everyone gonna sit in silence awkwardly -__- . btw smart idea for creating this thread. I've been watching vlogs about NCS and I don't know they give a lot of info but not the stuff that I wanna know if that makes sense??

I did it and I have been a mentor, what do you want to know? :smile:
Original post by IAmNero
I did it and I have been a mentor, what do you want to know? :smile:

What were the people in your wave nice??
What is a wave and how many people are in it usually??
Did you enjoy it?? Any funny stories which happened there??
oh and is the first week basically an action packed D of E??
sorry for the mass of questions :colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 15
What were the people in your wave nice??
What is a wave and how many people are in it usually??
Did you enjoy it?? Any funny stories which happened there??
oh and is the first week basically an action packed D of E??
sorry for the mass of questions :colondollar::colondollar:

The majority, there was a little bit of arguing and fights, but this is to be expected with a bunch of teens :smile:

So each area has a group of teens, the 'waves' are effectively a separate group for each area. Basically if the whole NCS programme was 12 weeks, you would have 4 waves of about 50 each. It's hard to explain.

I loved it so much! It was amazing. I would say the best was in the second week. We were cooking food and for our mentor (we had one in our apartment) we put tonnes of chilli in his dinner :rofl:. And also the massive doggie pile on the first week, or doing handstands on a canoe. But to be fair I have tonnes of memories, the talent contest was an awesome one.

Basically yes, take lots and lots of spare clothes though, the only thing I would say is, if you go 'camping', take really really warm clothes, and um...don't use the toilet to poop. As weird as this sounds, the last person to go..has to carry the portaloo back.

I was watching some videos on NCS as well and I'm now thinking of recording mine...

Anyways, I heard from other TSR threads about NCS (which were probably the reason why I created this thread) that they had 'icebreaker' activities before they left (such as say something interesting about yourself for 5 minutes).

Previous NCS Threads (let's hope the damn links work):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46336985 (2014)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3202959 (2015)
I'll just put my current info regarding the programme here, for reference. I might update this when I receive more info in a few months:

Area: Barnet (borough), London
Dates: 31 July - 23 Aug
Options for Part 2 (in descending order): Media, Art, Photography

I'm also on those dates and I picked exactly the same options in the same order :tongue:
Original post by excludedplasma
I'm also on those dates and I picked exactly the same options in the same order :tongue:

First I find someone who might be on the same 'wave' as me and now this!

Yeah, when I made this thread, I had no idea that this was gonna happen :redface:
Reply 19
Aww. I took part in NCS in Summer 2014..loved every bit of it!