The Student Room Group

previous study and student finance

Hi I am currently applying for student finance for this year.

I previously studied for a diploma in nursing starting in sept 2008, I ended up taking a leave of absence from May 2009 - January 2010, when I returned from leave in January this was to complete the first year of my diploma, I never did complete the 1st year in the end and ended up withdrawing from the course in July 2010.

Would the leave I took be counted as years in previous study? or would they just base previous study on the dates I was in University?

Either way I think I am going to end up having to pay tuition fees for my 1st year on the new course, as it would still just count as 2 years previous study even with my leave dates, but would I still receive a maintenance loan for the full 4 years of my new course?

Thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by lea05
Hi I am currently applying for student finance for this year.

I previously studied for a diploma in nursing starting in sept 2008, I ended up taking a leave of absence from May 2009 - January 2010, when I returned from leave in January this was to complete the first year of my diploma, I never did complete the 1st year in the end and ended up withdrawing from the course in July 2010.

Would the leave I took be counted as years in previous study? or would they just base previous study on the dates I was in University?

Either way I think I am going to end up having to pay tuition fees for my 1st year on the new course, as it would still just count as 2 years previous study even with my leave dates, but would I still receive a maintenance loan for the full 4 years of my new course?

Thanks for any help :smile:

As far as I'm aware, you would still have used a years entitlement from SF even though you left in may. If you left your course for a specific reason such as a death or mental health or health issues you can claim this back you would just need a doctors letter explaining this. Unfortunately if this isn't the case then you may not get the year back, you can always appeal their decision.

As far as I'm aware for the first year, you would have to fund your tuition fees yourself but you would recieved maintenance loan in every year regardless of previous study as there is no limit to this. What is your new course? If it something to do with nursing you will get it funded by the government as it's NHS based, although this will be stopped next year.

Hope this helped☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending