The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry help please

I am struggling to understand electrolysis and what happens during it, please can someone help??:smile:
Do you need help with C1 Electrolysis or C3 Electrolysis?
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Do you need help with C1 Electrolysis or C3 Electrolysis?

C1 please!!
Should be in the Metals topic?
Electrolysis is the process by which ionic substances are broken down into a simpler substance when an electric current is passed through them. This is needed for electricity as it's the flow of electrons or ions.

I can't remember the details. But you can always use GCSE Bitesize, they have a revsion section, an activity then a test to see how well you're doing. :h:
Original post by gingerbread22
C1 please!!

Which exam board? I do edexcel so I can help you with what you're meant to know for the edexcel exam board

Posted from TSR Mobile
electrolysis is basically the splitting up of an ionic compound using electricity.
As I'm sure you know, the metals form positive ions with ionic bonding and the non-metal forms a negative ion.
Therefore, the positive metal ions of the compound will be attracted to the negative electrode and will gain electrons (we say that the ions are 'reduced') to turn the ions back into atoms.
The negatively charged non-metal ions will be attracted to the positive electrode and lose electrons to become atoms again (the ions have been 'oxidised')

Quick Reply

Latest