The Student Room Group

Burnout

Hey guys!

So I'm coming up to my AS exams starting 18 May (eeeek!) and I'm really quite stressed about it, and I do revise one hell of a lot when I get going. I started revising a little bit before Easter, and in the first 3 days I did 9 hours a day, next 2 days I did 7 hours a day but on and off (less focused). The first 3 days I was doing science subjects - Biology and Chemistry because I find them harder, then the rest of the time I've focused on History, and to a lesser extent, English Literature. I finished all of Biology apart from a very small chunk of the last topic because we haven't quite finished that yet (and we have a bit of the Heart left over because our teacher forgot to teach it), and I finished all of Chemistry apart from the practical stuff at the very back of the revision guide. I finished the first section out of maybe 5 of one half of my History course, and did a little bit more on the first book of my English Literature. However, after last week I feel as if I've burnt out almost. I do really want to revise and I do have the motivation (sort of) but I just can't seem to stay focused on it for anywhere near as long, and I'm not getting enough done.

Does anyone have any tips for what I should do? My revision method at the moment is writing out all the key notes for the subject, however once I've done that I start testing myself on stuff. So, I was thinking of taking a break from my notes and just testing myself for a while until I get fed up of that, basically. Because I'm not 'fed up' of notes, I think I just did too much in too short a space of time maybe?

Any ideas or input anyone?
Please reply xxxx
I do history and this is my revision techniques:

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

Condense events into 3 bullet points (linking with the point above)

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

Do every single past paper question

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute

Time yourself when doing essays

Practice writing really fast

If you're struggling with content then go through a revision book.

If teachers tell you some sort of prediction I suggest you don't go by it and revise everything!

How your essay should be...

Introduction:

Write a short introduction for your 24 marker, not the 12. Roughy explain the points you are going to discuss.

How many paragraphs should I write?

12 marker: From 3 to 4 paragraphs (excluding conclusion).
24 marker: From 5 to 6 paragraphs (excluding conclusion), though this may vary depending on how strong each point is.

What structure should my paragraph be in?

PEEL.

Point: What are you talking about in this paragraph?
Evidence: Provide evidence for what you are talking about.
Explain: Explain your evidence, what does it show?
Link: Create a link to be able to bring your essay together, this way your paragraph would sync with your next. (Neccessary for a Level 4 answer in a 12 marker and a Level 5 answer for a 24 marker)

Should I discuss significance?

Yes. Do not miss this out in a 24 marker, it should be included somewhere in your essay. Most suitable place to identify the most and least significant factor/point is in the conclusion.

Conclusion:

Summarise your points by discussing significance/success/impact. What's your opinion?

How can I achieve the top marks?

Include historians views on this, just remember generic views - something almost everyone believes in. A good historian to use is Andrew Marr (I always use this historian in my essay).

Discuss significance

Make sure all points have a link, don't be jumping to a different topic in your essay or it won't flow.

Read into what you are studying, and enjoy it. That way you get a taste of the subject and can write your essays in that sort of format.

Don't forget to answer the question. So easy to forget what you are talking about. Keep looking back at what the question is sot you can address that rather than going off topic.

Explicitly say "therefore this can/cannot be considered successful/unsuccessful"

Avoid a narrative approach

Btw I don't know how the new spec works, this is what I follow. I'm sure it shouldn't matter anyways.

Take it slow and easy, don't overwork yourself.

Revision timetables aren't for everyone. For people who don't stick by it or can't keep up with it should create a to-do list for every week and tick it off as they go along rather than setting out a time to do it. However if you do like the idea of a revision timetable then I suggest you allocate your time wisely. Make a time timetable, you could use this Study Planner by TSR if you like. Though if you feel as if your a type to not stick with time tables I'd say you should make a to-do list for every week and tick off the things as you go along this way you don't omit anything from your revision.

Do you need help with anything else?
Original post by undercxver
I do history and this is my revision techniques:

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

Condense events into 3 bullet points (linking with the point above)

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

Do every single past paper question

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute

Time yourself when doing essays

Practice writing really fast

If you're struggling with content then go through a revision book.

If teachers tell you some sort of prediction I suggest you don't go by it and revise everything!

How your essay should be...

Introduction:

Write a short introduction for your 24 marker, not the 12. Roughy explain the points you are going to discuss.

How many paragraphs should I write?

12 marker: From 3 to 4 paragraphs (excluding conclusion).
24 marker: From 5 to 6 paragraphs (excluding conclusion), though this may vary depending on how strong each point is.

What structure should my paragraph be in?

PEEL.

Point: What are you talking about in this paragraph?
Evidence: Provide evidence for what you are talking about.
Explain: Explain your evidence, what does it show?
Link: Create a link to be able to bring your essay together, this way your paragraph would sync with your next. (Neccessary for a Level 4 answer in a 12 marker and a Level 5 answer for a 24 marker)

Should I discuss significance?

Yes. Do not miss this out in a 24 marker, it should be included somewhere in your essay. Most suitable place to identify the most and least significant factor/point is in the conclusion.

Conclusion:

Summarise your points by discussing significance/success/impact. What's your opinion?

How can I achieve the top marks?

Include historians views on this, just remember generic views - something almost everyone believes in. A good historian to use is Andrew Marr (I always use this historian in my essay).

Discuss significance

Make sure all points have a link, don't be jumping to a different topic in your essay or it won't flow.

Read into what you are studying, and enjoy it. That way you get a taste of the subject and can write your essays in that sort of format.

Don't forget to answer the question. So easy to forget what you are talking about. Keep looking back at what the question is sot you can address that rather than going off topic.

Explicitly say "therefore this can/cannot be considered successful/unsuccessful"

Avoid a narrative approach

Btw I don't know how the new spec works, this is what I follow. I'm sure it shouldn't matter anyways.

Take it slow and easy, don't overwork yourself.

Revision timetables aren't for everyone. For people who don't stick by it or can't keep up with it should create a to-do list for every week and tick it off as they go along rather than setting out a time to do it. However if you do like the idea of a revision timetable then I suggest you allocate your time wisely. Make a time timetable, you could use this Study Planner by TSR if you like. Though if you feel as if your a type to not stick with time tables I'd say you should make a to-do list for every week and tick off the things as you go along this way you don't omit anything from your revision.

Do you need help with anything else?

Oh my goodness, thank you so much, that's so helpful! Our new spec is slightly different to how you described, but other than that, sounds like you've got it all sorted :smile: I think I'm good thanks! :smile:
Original post by nerdydaydreamer
Oh my goodness, thank you so much, that's so helpful! Our new spec is slightly different to how you described, but other than that, sounds like you've got it all sorted :smile: I think I'm good thanks! :smile:

If you don't mind, can you tell me whats the difference between the new and old spec or what the new spec involves?

Here's a thread with history revision tips.
If you don't mind, can you tell me whats the difference between the new and old spec or what the new spec involves?

Here's a thread with history revision tips.

Of course I don't mind! The new spec has to have a depth and breadth study, and you have to cover a 300 year span in history between the both! you get a variety of options of what time periods you cover, my college have chosen to do The English Civil War 1625-1649 (covers first year only, can't remember how far the second year goes) as our depth study, and The Quest for Political Stability in Germany 1871-1945 (that covers both years). We have an exam on both of those, each has two 25 mark questions, one with sources, one without. we also have to do coursework in year 13, ours is going to be Crime and Punishment but I'm not sure that's the same for all.

The old spec I believe covers women and suffragettes and has to do less breadth? I'm not really sure what the differences are. :smile:
Of course I don't mind! The new spec has to have a depth and breadth study, and you have to cover a 300 year span in history between the both! you get a variety of options of what time periods you cover, my college have chosen to do The English Civil War 1625-1649 (covers first year only, can't remember how far the second year goes) as our depth study, and The Quest for Political Stability in Germany 1871-1945 (that covers both years). We have an exam on both of those, each has two 25 mark questions, one with sources, one without. we also have to do coursework in year 13, ours is going to be Crime and Punishment but I'm not sure that's the same for all.

The old spec I believe covers women and suffragettes and has to do less breadth? I'm not really sure what the differences are. :smile:

Thank you. I'm not too sure what's happening with me you see. I've been entered for a resit of an exam I sat last year. I'm self-teaching so I have no guidance whatsoever. I'm not sure if the structure of the exam has changed. So have the completely got rid of the old spec now? :erm:
Thank you. I'm not too sure what's happening with me you see. I've been entered for a resit of an exam I sat last year. I'm self-teaching so I have no guidance whatsoever. I'm not sure if the structure of the exam has changed. So have the completely got rid of the old spec now? :erm:

No, if you've been put in for a resit, it will be an exam from the old specification. students currently in year 13 are still studying the old spec, and if they are retaking modules from year 12 it will be the module they were taught, not the one on the new spec. :smile:
No, if you've been put in for a resit, it will be an exam from the old specification. students currently in year 13 are still studying the old spec, and if they are retaking modules from year 12 it will be the module they were taught, not the one on the new spec. :smile:

Sorry I don't think I made it clear that I am sitting two History AS papers. Is anyone still sitting the old spec for the AS modules? I'm sure you college/Sixth Form would have year 13 students resitting an AS history module?
Sorry I don't think I made it clear that I am sitting two History AS papers. Is anyone still sitting the old spec for the AS modules? I'm sure you college/Sixth Form would have year 13 students resitting an AS history module?

oh yeah, anyone at our sixth form resitting the as history is resitting it on the old spec!

Quick Reply

Latest