The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martins1
Online exam. Not written. And for that matter, I'm not sure that it's gonna be the most challenging exam ever, considering it is testing basic mathematical functions. The army one is also online - I did it and it was not in any way hard.

There is the British Equality act which helps people with disabilities in getting equal rights and fair working environment...

The Equality act guarantees EQUALITY not preferential treatment. Big difference.

Also, you said these exact words "there are also no exams in real life" and i just gave you several examples.We are not discussing ease or difficulty of exams, we are discussing the ethics and morality of giving certain pupils an easier exam. The same way you were wrong there, you are still wrong.Extra time has nothing to do with writing speed.I write slower than most people(including some who get extra time) but I didn't qualify, despite my school "cheating" programme.
It is fair but only to the people who generally have conditions that hinder their performance. My sister suffers with mild autism and she gets 20 minutes extra for all her exams, and her case is a perfectly valid situation for extra time. (sometimes I kinda wish I got extra time for some exams like english.. I would probably do considerably better as I could have a little more time to think and finish my conclusion lol :tongue:)
Hmm. It depends. Some people do need the extra time it may be fair but not usually. I wish I could have extra time, it would help quite a lot. But that wouldn't be fair on everyone else.

But in some cases I do think its fair.
Original post by Tinka99
I have high functioning Autism and also ADHD and get 25% extra time so I can say for a fact Autism is a valid reason.

You should not get extra time for being autistic. You qualify for extra time if your autism (or anything else) causes you to have processing or writing speeds significantly below the national average. The majority of students on the autistic spectrum at my school do not get extra time.
Original post by Compost
You should not get extra time for being autistic. You qualify for extra time if your autism (or anything else) causes you to have processing or writing speeds significantly below the national average. The majority of students on the autistic spectrum at my school do not get extra time.

Why shouldn't someone get extra time for being Autistic?
Reply 545
It's a bit unfair how people that are so called depressed have extra time.. many people are depressed but they don't have the courage to say it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 546
Original post by Compost

Somebody was saying Autism is not a valid reason to get extra time so I was just replying to them saying it is a perfectly valid reason and I never said it's a perfectly valid reason on its own. I agree that you should only get extra time if your disability causes you to not be able to complete the exam in the set time. I have a slow writing speed, have concentration issues and also find it difficult to interpret questions as quick as normal people.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Why shouldn't someone get extra time for being Autistic?

Access arrangements are awarded based on the evidence of need, not because someone has a label.
Original post by Monsor
It's a bit unfair how people that are so called depressed have extra time.. many people are depressed but they don't have the courage to say ite

I am not aware they people who are "so called depressed" do get extra time.
Yes, I think it is. I suffer from a s******* paraplegia and I write at half the speed of a normal person. Moreover, if I write too much or too fast, my wrist starts aching because of a specific disfunction I have. If I didn't have extra time, I would start crying in pain during every exam I take. I agree with those saying that sometimes extra time is given to people who don't really need it, but please don't say offensive things if you don't know how it feels like to live with a disability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 550
Original post by Compost
I am not aware they people who are "so called depressed" do get extra time.

In my school there are a few boys who get extra time for being on antidepressants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Monsor
In my school there are a few boys who get extra time for being on antidepressants

Posted from TSR Mobile

Antidepressants (and other medications) do cause some pretty unpleasant side effects, including concentration difficulties.
I think for people who actually need it it's a good thing, but it's given out far too generously. In my subjects, 25% is an EXTREMELY SIGNIFICANT amount of time to get on top of what we already have considering I'm furiously writing non-stop for the full time usually.
Absolutely. I would have more time to think about a question rather than rush it and write practically illegibly so that I have time to finish the paper and maybe check it. I write fairly slowly so that it is readable but in my GCSE English lit exam I didn't finish one of the questions because I ran out of time from needing to plan as well as ensure my writing was readable.

I know somebody with extra time who doesn't really need it, never uses it (he just sits there and waits for it to be over) and complains he has to sit there when the exam is over. And he gets a laptop in essay exams. I think that if you are allowed a laptop then you don't need extra time because the use of a laptop already speeds you up - therefore eliminating the need for extra time.

I also know someone who is deaf and got extra time in their exams. They didn't do any exams that required listening like a language or music, but they still got extra time in all their exams. I don't think that is fair to everyone else because although it's a disability in everyday life it won't impact her WRITTEN exams. Completely unfair.
Original post by Amberhackett
Absolutely. I would have more time to think about a question rather than rush it and write practically illegibly so that I have time to finish the paper and maybe check it. I write fairly slowly so that it is readable but in my GCSE English lit exam I didn't finish one of the questions because I ran out of time from needing to plan as well as ensure my writing was readable.

I know somebody with extra time who doesn't really need it, never uses it (he just sits there and waits for it to be over) and complains he has to sit there when the exam is over. And he gets a laptop in essay exams. I think that if you are allowed a laptop then you don't need extra time because the use of a laptop already speeds you up - therefore eliminating the need for extra time.

I also know someone who is deaf and got extra time in their exams. They didn't do any exams that required listening like a language or music, but they still got extra time in all their exams. I don't think that is fair to everyone else because although it's a disability in everyday life it won't impact her WRITTEN exams. Completely unfair.

This is not always the case. If extra time has been awarded for a slow processing speed a laptop is not going to make you process the question any faster. However I have to agree where a laptop is allowed consideration does have to be given as to whether extra time is still required and I know people who receive extra time in written exams and no extra time when typing.

Whether it effects their written exams will be dependent on the point at which they became deaf. If they were pre lingually deaf this can actually have a significant affect on their ability to process written language because we learn to read by phonics which sound association- an association pre lingually deaf people do not and con not develop making them slow. I agree when it come to those not pre lingually deaf.
Original post by Compost

Wait never knew you were a trained medical professional?
SEN trained?
Have autism yourself?
Work for JCQ or any exam board?

If the answer to the above is no, you cant judge whether or not someone is entitled do extra time....
Original post by sufiyan1999
Wait never knew you were a trained medical professional?
SEN trained?
Have autism yourself?
Work for JCQ or any exam board?

If the answer to the above is no, you cant judge whether or not someone is entitled do extra time....

I think I've seen this user on here being referred to as an exams officer or something so if that's true then they would have an idea.
I think its a good thing. I get extra time in exams and i understand why some of my friends get annoyed at it but i get for my unreasonably slow processing speed. Reading and understand a question takes much longer for me than for anyone else. It would be unfair to put me in with everyone else for time because although it takes me longer to work out whats its asking, i usually know the answer. I'm an A grade a-level student but without any extra time i wouldn't be able to reach any of those grades.
Original post by surina16
I think I've seen this user on here being referred to as an exams officer or something so if that's true then they would have an idea.

Well if they are an exams office i would have hoped that they understood autism needs to be assessed on a case by case basis. You cant just say " if the autism doesnt make you're writing speed less than X you dont deserve extra time"
Original post by Samonia
I think its a good thing. I get extra time in exams and i understand why some of my friends get annoyed at it but i get for my unreasonably slow processing speed. Reading and understand a question takes much longer for me than for anyone else. It would be unfair to put me in with everyone else for time because although it takes me longer to work out whats its asking, i usually know the answer. I'm an A grade a-level student but without any extra time i wouldn't be able to reach any of those grades.

You shouldn't be reaching those grades then? If you need extra time to get an A's in your a levels, you shouldn't be getting it :biggrin: everyone could get an A in an exam if they had enough time.
Only having slow processing speed should not allow you to have extra time

Latest