The Student Room Group

Working in a predominantly female workplace is depressing

I've always been scared to say this at fear of sounding sexist, but I'm tired of working in a place where it's nearly all women (my sector is unfortunately mostly women). There are nice women around (i'm nit saying all women are bitchy), but generally from my experience of being the minority (being male) it's a major bitchfest. Everyones bitching about everyone, reporting everyone, going behind everyone's back...

I've only worked in a few predominantly male work environments and they aren't even half as bitchy. Some people would knock heads once in a while, but after a few days people would just make up. I feel when men don't like you they'll more likely make it known to your face, but with women it's all bitchiness, two-facedness, etc. Everyone is going for each other's jugular. You can't even be critical of how things are without sone people wanting to see you unemployed.

Is there such a thing as a predominantly female work environment without the bitchiness? Why do women hate each other so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
A misogynist is a man who hates women as much as women hate women... remember that lol.

This is why I'd want to work in engineering/finance. Just seems like good teamwork/trust with (predominantly) male colleagues. I don't think you'd get that same level of 'comradeship' in a female dominated workplace.
Women are taught that they can't be successful at the same time as others. They are socialized to be jealous and petty. Its the future generations jobs to change this way of thinking and start teaching young girls to be proud of their friends and celebrate the success of all other women
Original post by richpanda
A misogynist is a man who hates women as much as women hate women... remember that lol.

This is why I'd want to work in engineering/finance. Just seems like good teamwork/trust with (predominantly) male colleagues. I don't think you'd get that same level of 'comradeship' in a female dominated workplace.

I work in health and have also been in education so it'll be pretty hard to change careers :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Erm, that hasn't been my experience :s-smilie: Women can, at worst, be stuck up and snobby. It's the thought of being in an all-male environment that I find impossible. It'd be like something off Wolf of Wall Street or the stuff you hear about that happens in army barracks. Perhaps slightly toned down but essentially the same. Mob mentality. Men swearing all the time. Men using slang and using shortforms for every possible thing (not even talking properly). Men making tasteless crass jokes, laughing at things that really should be disgusting or at the suffering of others (not even bothering to help anyone). Men talking about everything like it's a base commodity. O and I've heard men make some truly disgusting jokes about women and other men when their backs are turned too, that happens in both genders.

Men act like animals when there are no women around... Just my two cents.
Original post by cosmic angel
It's the thought of being in an all-male environment that I find impossible. It'd be like something off Wolf of Wall Street or the stuff you hear about that happens in army barracks. Perhaps slightly toned down but essentially the same. Mob mentality. Men swearing all the time. Men using slang and using shortforms for every possible thing (not even talking properly). Men making tasteless crass jokes, laughing at things that really should be disgusting or at the suffering of others (not even bothering to help anyone). Men talking about everything like it's a base commodity. O and I've heard men make some truly disgusting jokes about women and other men when their backs are turned too, that happens in both genders.

Men act like animals when there are no women around... Just my two cents.

I know what you mean by that and thats the disadvantage of working in an all male environment - it will most likely come with "banter". It most often goes too far and often turns into insults hidden behind the excuse that "it's all just a laugh". The advantage of an environment that promotes banter though is there isn't the constant paranoia in your mind about what watching what you say like you do in a female environment and all the behind back nonsense.

I have to say though with grudges though it all dies in a relatively short time and men will usually just not give a damn anymore. Women keep grudges forever. There is no forgive and forget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I’ve worked in a predominantly male environment and a predominantly female environment both for 10 years each. I can honestly say the working in a mostly female environment is far worse! You haven’t even based your opinion on a real life situation, you’ve based it on ‘The wolf of Wall Street’ 😂.
Women are very cliquey, two faced, never accept responsibility, *****y, hypocritical, aggressive, are liars, play innocent when they’ve been caught out, manipulative, calculating, women never apologise …And this is my experience of 10 years working with women. Working with men was far more peaceful in comparison.
Original post by jblackmoustache
I know what you mean by that and thats the disadvantage of working in an all male environment - it will most likely come with "banter". It most often goes too far and often turns into insults hidden behind the excuse that "it's all just a laugh". The advantage of an environment that promotes banter though is there isn't the constant paranoia in your mind about what watching what you say like you do in a female environment and all the behind back nonsense.

I have to say though with grudges though it all dies in a relatively short time and men will usually just not give a damn anymore. Women keep grudges forever. There is no forgive and forget.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The difference is men will apologise to you if they’ve upset you. Women will not apologise.

Latest