Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Strathclyde University PGDE English Interview

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hey, I have an interview coming up for PGDE English in Strathclyde. Has anyone attended an interview for this course? If so, what type of q's should I expect to come up? Any advice would be appreciated

Hi, I had an interview for secondary English at Strathclyde Uni in December. At the start of the interview the course convener gives you some information about the course, the format of the interview and an opportunity to ask any questions. You are then put into groups of 3-4 with other applicants to deliver your presentation, along with two interviewers. After you have delivered the presentation the interviewers, and possibly applicants will ask you one or two questions - nothing too demanding though!

After everyone has finished their presentations they will call you in individually for your interview. Strathclyde do not have a set list of questions, I was asked different questions to those I was interviewed with, in the interest of fairness. They are fairly generic, however: which period of English literature interests you the most/ why do you want to teach/ how would you motivate your students/ why are you suitable for the course/ what do you know about the Curriculum for Excellence etc. It really depends on who is interviewing you, some will base their next question on your response. They were all really nice though and stressed that it was in their interest for us to be relaxed and have an enjoyable/productive day (easier said than done though!)

Good luck, feel free to ask if I can help you anymore!

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through everything. You've been a great help! I just wasn't sure what type of questions to expect, whether it would be subject specific or more just general competencies about me. I'm going to practice a few different scenarios just in case. It does sound like the Strayhclyde interview is a little more relaxed than the others I've read about. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.